Old 11-07-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default My own back

At last I got my own back on those blasted pigeons that eat my veg.
Spent a few days away at a "posh" hotel, one of the starters was pigeon
breast, I could not refuse. :-)
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Broadback" wrote in message
At last I got my own back on those blasted pigeons that eat my veg. Spent
a few days away at a "posh" hotel, one of the starters was pigeon breast,
I could not refuse. :-)

We eat a lot of pigeon (it's very cheap meat) - but not (as yet) the ones in
our garden.

When Spouse has his air rifle ...

Mary

Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"The Invalid" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:15:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
At last I got my own back on those blasted pigeons that eat my veg.
Spent
a few days away at a "posh" hotel, one of the starters was pigeon
breast,
I could not refuse. :-)

We eat a lot of pigeon (it's very cheap meat) - but not (as yet) the ones
in
our garden.

When Spouse has his air rifle ...

Mary

I bought a Chinese Cheapie for 30 quid, it certainly drops pigeons
well

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

Mary

Old 12-07-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Invalid" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:15:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]
When Spouse has his air rifle ...

Mary

I bought a Chinese Cheapie for 30 quid, it certainly drops pigeons
well

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

I know it's a long shot, but you could maybe try a gun shop.

--
Mike.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Invalid" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:15:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]
When Spouse has his air rifle ...

Mary

I bought a Chinese Cheapie for 30 quid, it certainly drops pigeons
well

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

I know it's a long shot, but you could maybe try a gun shop.

I'm sure you're right. I don't think I've seen one of those in thirty years
though.

I obviously don't get out enough ;-)

Mary

--
Mike.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Invalid" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:15:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]
When Spouse has his air rifle ...

Mary

I bought a Chinese Cheapie for 30 quid, it certainly drops pigeons
well

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

I know it's a long shot, but you could maybe try a gun shop.

I'm sure you're right. I don't think I've seen one of those in thirty
years though.

I obviously don't get out enough ;-)

Trouble is, they are not that obvious in the average High Street!

I don't thnk there are any close to me either.

Alan

Mary

--
Mike.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

I know it's a long shot, but you could maybe try a gun shop.

I'm sure you're right. I don't think I've seen one of those in thirty
years though.

I obviously don't get out enough ;-)

Trouble is, they are not that obvious in the average High Street!

I don't thnk there are any close to me either.

Yes there are.

I know it's a long shot, but since both you and Mary have a computer
you could maybe try a google search on "gun dealers in Windsor/Leeds".

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

missed the post ---- what was it you were trying to find

Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

I know it's a long shot, but you could maybe try a gun shop.

I'm sure you're right. I don't think I've seen one of those in thirty
years though.

I obviously don't get out enough ;-)

Trouble is, they are not that obvious in the average High Street!

I don't thnk there are any close to me either.

Yes there are.

I know it's a long shot, but since both you and Mary have a computer
you could maybe try a google search on "gun dealers in Windsor/Leeds".

Done that, got nowhere.

Well, I didn't include Windsor ...

Mary

Janet.

Old 13-07-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

Are the pigeons in urban gardens just as edible as those in the
butchers or could there be a problem with the amount of lice etc on
them, and their diet of waste?

Old 13-07-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I know it's a long shot, but since both you and Mary have a computer
you could maybe try a google search on "gun dealers in Windsor/Leeds".

Done that, got nowhere.

That's funny, on my screen google produced four gun dealers for Leeds.

They're not really Leeds though, just in the general area. The one which
used to be in Leeds closed some time ago.

Mary

Old 13-07-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Are the pigeons in urban gardens just as edible as those in the
butchers or could there be a problem with the amount of lice etc on
them, and their diet of waste?

The pigeons in my garden are wood pigeons, the same as the ones I buy from
the game dealer. They don't feed on 'waste', they feed on my vegetables and
chicken grain. As for lice, I imagine that all untreated birds have them,
including those sold for meat. The lice aren't on the meat after all :-)

Mary

Old 13-07-2006, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "John" contains these words:

Are the pigeons in urban gardens just as edible as those in the
butchers or could there be a problem with the amount of lice etc on
them, and their diet of waste?

Don't be such a wuss.

If you eat salmon, beef, poultry, game or lamb, you are already
eating creatures that have had lice, gut parasites etc, and you haven't
died yet; though the chemical treatments UK produce got for those
parasites might not do you much good. If you are lucky enough to eat
home-grown free-range poultry or their eggs, that wonderful flavour
comes partly from the scraps, or household waste, they eat, and the
animal manures they pick through. If you eat wild sea fish like
inshore mackerel you'd better not ask what they feed on that makes them
so tasty...

If you eat cheap supermarket "bargain price" poultry or pork raised
butchered and imported from barely-regulated farms in east Europe or the
far east then you could be risking far more than anything that afflicts
an urban UK pigeon

Hurrah!

Mary

Old 13-07-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I know it's a long shot, but since both you and Mary have a computer
you could maybe try a google search on "gun dealers in
Windsor/Leeds".

Done that, got nowhere.

That's funny, on my screen google produced four gun dealers for Leeds.

They're not really Leeds though, just in the general area. The one which
used to be in Leeds closed some time ago.

I don't know if you live in Leeds, or just the general area. Even
squirrels can travel those distances on foot though :-)

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
to 26 private gardens

what exactly do you require from a gunsmith's shop, i go to france every
month and you would be amazed what their gunsmith's sell without batting an
eyelid, but here the same items would either not be legal or locked away and
only sold if you had a permit of some sort.

Old 13-07-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Alan" wrote in message

what exactly do you require from a gunsmith's shop, i go to france every
month and you would be amazed what their gunsmith's sell without batting
an eyelid, but here the same items would either not be legal or locked
away and only sold if you had a permit of some sort.

We don't want that kind of weapon, we don't break laws.

He's going to ask people he knows.

Mary

Old 13-07-2006, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know where to buy one.

We don't shop much so don't know what's where ;-)

I know it's a long shot, but you could maybe try a gun shop.

I'm sure you're right. I don't think I've seen one of those in thirty
years though.

I obviously don't get out enough ;-)

Trouble is, they are not that obvious in the average High Street!

I don't thnk there are any close to me either.

Yes there are.

I know it's a long shot, but since both you and Mary have a computer
you could maybe try a google search on "gun dealers in Windsor/Leeds".

Done that, got nowhere.

Well, I didn't include Windsor ...

We all make mistakes!

Alan