Old 14-07-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default A new hedge required but which one?

"George.com" wrote
"Emrys Davies" wrote
Photina Red Robin http://www.hgc.ie/plants/hedging.asp
will make an attractive hedge and it is different.

I have one of those. albeit here in NZ. In autumn after a trim, new
leaf growth is deep red. If you inherit a scruffy one, like I did, it
takes some coaxing back to life but is worth it, in my opinion.

A lovely purple leaved hedge I've noticed and always admire on the way
past is (I think) Prunus cistena. It's kept neat and reasonably low, so
might suit the poster. Not evergreen of course, but it's so beautiful
when it's in growth - the sun makes the leaves glow a gorgeous ruby red.

--
Sue

Old 15-07-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Will Wilkinson

In message ews.net,
Sue writes

"George.com" wrote
"Emrys Davies" wrote
Photina Red Robin http://www.hgc.ie/plants/hedging.asp
will make an attractive hedge and it is different.

I have one of those. albeit here in NZ. In autumn after a trim, new
leaf growth is deep red. If you inherit a scruffy one, like I did, it
takes some coaxing back to life but is worth it, in my opinion.

A lovely purple leaved hedge I've noticed and always admire on the way
past is (I think) Prunus cistena. It's kept neat and reasonably low, so
might suit the poster. Not evergreen of course, but it's so beautiful
when it's in growth - the sun makes the leaves glow a gorgeous ruby red.

I like the various Prunus species as well. I planted a Blackthorn hedge
a couple of years ago, lovely display of white flowers in the early
spring and sloes in the autumn - particularly nice if you like sloe gin
(which I do).

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net