Old 01-01-2005, 12:27 PM
dean

Default Hedge cutting advice required

Hi to the group. I have a quick question regarding my tree hedge in my
garden. It is about 10 feet tall consisting of Castlewellan Gold and
Leylandii trees. The trees were planted about 12 years ago. I am hoping to
cut about 4 ft off as soon as possible. I am asking when is the best time to
do it, as I want to have a minimum effect on the birds and other wildlife. I
dont know a lot about these things. Would it make sense for me to cut in mid
January, or would this adversely affect the birdlife that often sit in the
trees. Thanx in advance.

www.portadown.50megs.com

Old 01-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike

Depends where you are in the country, but here on the Isle of Wight the
'pairing' has already started, but then it has been 'very very' mild with
only a couple of white frosts.

Mike
--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 01-01-2005, 01:41 PM
dean

Hi Mike. Im in County Armagh, Northern Ireland, if thats any help.
Cheers

www.portadown.50megs.com

Old 01-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Mike

"dean" wrote in message
Hi Mike. Im in County Armagh, Northern Ireland, if thats any help.
Cheers

Basically what I am saying is, don't leave it too late.

I am on a sub committee trying to get a football pitch re-instated from what
has turned into a rubbish dump. In that time, about 10 years, trees have
become rampant and have had to be trimmed. In the first case, a couple of
years ago, when the tree people came in they had to stop because of nesting
birds. Now, two years later, all trees have been trimmed, the site cleared
and ploughed and we are off to getting the pitch ready.

(We did have a little problem with Tree Preservation Orders, but we soon
sorted that one out :-))

Get in there now and chop 'em down !!!

Mike

Old 01-01-2005, 07:40 PM
dean

"Mike" wrote in message
"dean" wrote in message
Hi Mike. Im in County Armagh, Northern Ireland, if thats any help.
Cheers

Basically what I am saying is, don't leave it too late.

I am on a sub committee trying to get a football pitch re-instated from

what
has turned into a rubbish dump. In that time, about 10 years, trees have
become rampant and have had to be trimmed. In the first case, a couple of
years ago, when the tree people came in they had to stop because of

nesting
birds. Now, two years later, all trees have been trimmed, the site cleared
and ploughed and we are off to getting the pitch ready.

(We did have a little problem with Tree Preservation Orders, but we soon
sorted that one out :-))

Get in there now and chop 'em down !!!

Mike

Thanx for the advice Mike. I was actually inquiring as to what month of the
year is best, as I didnt want to disturb the wildlife and birds, which are
very important to me. What is the least harmful month, such as when birds
are not nesting etc.
Cheers

Old 01-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Mike

Thanx for the advice Mike. I was actually inquiring as to what month of
the
year is best, as I didnt want to disturb the wildlife and birds, which are
very important to me. What is the least harmful month, such as when birds
are not nesting etc.
Cheers

Now?

But if you see the birds gathering nesting material and 'heading your way',
stop!

No doubt someone will correct me, but we were told that once the birds had
made a start, we were too late and could be fined/prosecuted!

Mike

Old 01-01-2005, 10:08 PM
ned

dean wrote:

snip

Thanx for the advice Mike. I was actually inquiring as to what month
of the year is best, as I didnt want to disturb the wildlife and
birds, which are very important to me. What is the least harmful
month, such as when birds are not nesting etc.

I think you have to strike a compromise. If you were to trim now,
there is the chance of frost damage to the exposed new growth points
of the hedge.
Full marks for your conservation concerns but I hardly think that
trimming one hedge in the nesting season will constitute a
conservation tragedy.

For what its worth, the new farming legislation on countryside
conservation, I believe, forbids hedge trimming during the period 1st
March to 31st August.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Mike

That would go along with my experience of being stopped in the tree
lopping/clearing situation in about April/May.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 3 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
British Pacific Fleet. Derby 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Denby Pottery
"ned" wrote in message

snip

Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
dean

"Mike" wrote in message
That would go along with my experience of being stopped in the tree
lopping/clearing situation in about April/May.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 3 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
British Pacific Fleet. Derby 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Denby Pottery
"ned" wrote in message
dean wrote:

snip

[...]

Thanx everyone. I will leave it for a few weeks. happy new year
Dean