Old 21-07-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Instant Hedge required

First time poster here, but seeking the advice of green fingered
friendly types )

Today I found out that my plans to extend the side of our garden would
be rejected by the local council, as depite the fact that I own the
plot of land, it's marked as being reserved for "public enjoyment" -
something about ammienety land or something ?? Therefore, i'm not
allowed to put any permenent structure on this 'strip' of 6ft, 45ft
land which runs paralell to my house.

Anyway - so my plans for a 45ft long closeboard fence are skuppered,
but I would still like to extend the garden, and advised by the council
planners that a 45ft row of plants would be acceptable as they're not a
permenent structure.

Now, fences are instant, and to my delight, so are hedges these days,
thanks to a search around Google. But I'm not sure about the
practicality of one.

The hedge would have to serve two fold. One to prevent access through
the hedge from unwanted people / burglers and roaming animals, but also
to ensure that my dog could not escape.

What are real world experiences like of purchasing hedges that are
already 5/6ft high, planting and actually doing what I require?
Clearly, (or so I've now read), better is to plant small, which will
give me a denser hedge, but time is of the essence here, and like most
things in society these days, I want the result as soon as possible.

Am I really onto a looser going about it this way? Or should I divert
my energy and not think about extending the garden ?

Critical and positive replies most welcome ;o)

Thanks again,
Andy

Old 21-07-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/7/06 17:10, in article
,
" wrote:

snip
What are real world experiences like of purchasing hedges that are
already 5/6ft high, planting and actually doing what I require?
Clearly, (or so I've now read), better is to plant small, which will
give me a denser hedge, but time is of the essence here, and like most
things in society these days, I want the result as soon as possible.

Am I really onto a looser going about it this way? Or should I divert
my energy and not think about extending the garden ?

Critical and positive replies most welcome ;o)

As you've read, it's usually best to plant things for hedging when they're
fairly small. They seem to get their feet down and get away better. To
plant a fully mature hedge could be expensive and if it dies, VERY
expensive! To deter unwanted visitors, something like Rosa rugosa which is
both pretty and extremely prickly would work, as would a hedge of e.g.
Berberis or Holly. The latter is evergreen and so your privacy would be
retained all year round. As to your dog, I can't think of a hedging plant
that will deter a determined dog, so I suggest you either make it a smaller
enclosure within the present area or that you look at the Invisible Fencing
which involves laying a strip around the perimeter of your garden which
picks up signals from a device on the dog's collar. You take a few days to
teach the dog that if it crosses this strip it will receive a very mild
electric shock and apparently, it works extremely well. Friends of mine
used this with their very wilful Labrador and had no further problems.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-07-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Much overlooked these days is Yew. The bog standard stuff is available in
pots at around £7 for a 3/4 foot plant. Contrary to popular opinion this
does grow quite fast if you give it a well prepared site. A temporary
interwoven string of razor wire will offer a deterrent to the thick yobs and
the dogs being reasonably bright will learn to keep away

Instant Hedge! Simon C United Kingdom 2 24-07-2004 11:05 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 2 16-07-2003 05:25 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 08:17 PM