Old 13-07-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Early autumn.....?

On 13/7/06 23:15, in article , "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I have no real idea why I feel this but I get the idea we're in for an
early
onset to autumn. Here and there in very scattered localities I've noticed
the small beginnings of a change in the colour of leaves on trees, really
tiny but just enough to make me wonder. Anyone else?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Given that trees dont have predictive powers and can only respond to current
weather conditions, how about its nothing to do with an early autumn, its
just been hot and dry recently?

If we didn't live in the west country which is not suffering from a water
shortage, I'd go with that. As it is, we've had hot and dry but no drought.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-07-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

How about "Hot and dry enough to make some trees start shedding leaves" .

Or there is your theory that trees have predictive powers and know what the
weather will do in 3 months time and are shedding leaves now...but why?If
its going to be an early autumn, they should shed them as late as possible
so as to build up resources for a longer than normal winter. Maybe your
trees think its going to be a _late_ Autumn?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 14-07-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 14/7/06 15:24, in article , "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 13/7/06 23:15, in article
, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

They're not. Yet.

Or there is your theory that trees have predictive powers and know what the
weather will do in 3 months time and are shedding leaves now...but why?If
its going to be an early autumn, they should shed them as late as possible
so as to build up resources for a longer than normal winter. Maybe your
trees think its going to be a _late_ Autumn?

Maybe they do. I don't talk to the trees and they don't listen to
me.........

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-07-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Sacha" wrote in message

If we didn't live in the west country which is not suffering from a
water
shortage, I'd go with that. As it is, we've had hot and dry but no
drought.

How about "Hot and dry enough to make some trees start shedding leaves" .

They're not. Yet.

OK "hot and dry enough to make whatever changes to the foliage you've
noticed where you are". We've got some shedding leaves here (Reading)

Or there is your theory that trees have predictive powers and know what
the
weather will do in 3 months time and are shedding leaves now...but why?If
its going to be an early autumn, they should shed them as late as
possible
so as to build up resources for a longer than normal winter. Maybe your
trees think its going to be a _late_ Autumn?

Maybe they do. I don't talk to the trees and they don't listen to
me.........

No comment

Old 14-07-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

Reminds me of the folklore that a heavy berry crop denotes a hard Winter
to follow. All it means is that the Spring and Summer has been good for
berries. I'm not sure that plants can be predictive, however I do
believe that animals can, even some humans can tell (especially us
oldies)when rain is on its way. Oh my poor bones, they do ache! ;-)

Old 15-07-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
It's just an overall but inexplicable 'feeling' that autumn will be
early. Maybe it is that plants are blooming late, then fast and so
forth.

That is explicable in terms of a cold wet spring (which has delayed
plant growth, compared to recent years), followed by a hot dry summer
(which has speed maturation of inflorescences, and discouraged secondary
flowering growth). As it is, I've got assorted annuals which I have the
impression are seriously behind, due to the lack of water.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Early autumn Sacha United Kingdom 24 06-08-2013 09:38 PM
Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
Early autumn.....? Bob Hobden United Kingdom 0 14-07-2006 04:02 PM
Early autumn.....? Jane United Kingdom 5 14-07-2006 12:03 PM
Early autumn.....? shazzbat United Kingdom 0 13-07-2006 11:21 PM