Old 24-07-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What eats brussel sprouts?

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress

(wilting
despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered in holes,
so

obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs, of which there was

no
sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief that it was slugs and/or
snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and I've checked them every day

since
and squashed all eggs and caterpillars as they have arrived but the
leaves
are still disappearing fast, there are no aphids or any other visible

pests,
but I noticed cherry stones on the soil and so I have come to the

conclusion
that it could be birds of some kind? - do birds eat sprout leaves, if so
which ones and how do I stop them?

Look at the roots. I bet you have either root fly larvae, or club-root.

None of the earlier replies addressed the problem of wilting. Club root or
root fly attack are unpleasant probabilities.

On the subject of leaf damage different creatures leave different
signatures. Caterpillars are obvious-they are there and in the case of large
white they leave very little greenery-the leaves end up like basketwork.
Pigeons leave scissor like cuts in the leaves- but leave the thick stalks
and ribs.
Small holes are reminiscent of snail or slug damage and the smallest holes
1-2mm of flea beetles.
You need to sort out what's what so you can take action in future. Let us
know what you find when you fork up a wilted plant.
Regards
David T

Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote after

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Phil L" wrote...
My sprouts are being eaten and are showing signs of severe distress
(wilting despite prolific watering)...the leaves were becoming covered
in holes, so I obviously checked for caterpillars and butterfly eggs,
of which there was no sign so I sprinkled slug pellets in the beilief
that it was slugs and/or snails, all this was about 3 weeks ago and
I've checked them every day since and squashed all eggs and
caterpillars as they have arrived but the leaves are still disappearing
fast, there are no aphids or any other visible pests, but I noticed
cherry stones on the soil and so I have come to the conclusion that it
could be birds of some kind? - do birds eat sprout leaves, if so which
ones and how do I stop them?
Pigeons do, and some, they leave the leaves looking like a skeleton with
all the soft green flesh pecked away but the hard stalky bits still
there. Not holes usually.

One method of detering pidgeons is to have something bright red nearby,
pidgeons do not like red things apparently.

And it does work, I had some trouble last year and put some red plastic
tops from jars, they didn't come near the things again.

That explains why our neighbour has just put up a bright red scarecrow.
:-)

I wish I had thought of that, I must try to remember and do that next year.

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM