Old 16-07-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dry Garden

Default Legal ways to water the garden

I've been following the recent hose pipe bans to the letter (I think).

I am aware that according to the law I can do more.

Currently I fill water butt from a hose (when required) and then fill
watering cans from the water butt.

I believe that I could simply put a hose pipe into the watering can and then
water the garden using the hose to refill the watering can continuously? Is
this correct?

If so could this be taken a stage further i.e?

Fill the water butt from a hose, and then attach another hose to the tap of
the water butt and water that way??

Oh and moving up north if not an option btw.

Thanks

Old 17-07-2006, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , Dry Garden
wrote:

I've been following the recent hose pipe bans to the letter (I think).

I am aware that according to the law I can do more.

Currently I fill water butt from a hose (when required) and then fill
watering cans from the water butt.

I believe that I could simply put a hose pipe into the watering can and then
water the garden using the hose to refill the watering can continuously? Is
this correct?

If so could this be taken a stage further i.e?

Fill the water butt from a hose, and then attach another hose to the tap of
the water butt and water that way??

Oh and moving up north if not an option btw.

As long as you are not supplying water directly from the mains to the
garden (or car) you are within the law. So you can use your hose to
fill a watering can, butt or any other container. From the container
you can deliver as much water as you like to the garden and by any
means. You can certainly attach a hose to your water butt but you won't
get much in the way of usable pressure unless to drop a submersible
pump into the water butt and attach your hose to the pump.

Yes, you can take both your watering can and your mains-connected hose
around the garden with you and fill the can as needed while you walk
around. You must turn off the hose before emptying the watering can but
that can be done at the nozzle or hose gun without returning to the
mains tap every time. You can also use as long a hose as you want.
Thames Water say you can only use a short length of hose to fill a
watering can but that's a lie. Three Valleys Water say you can't use a
hose to fill a watering can but that's also a lie. The law allows you
to fill any empty container from the mains with any length of hose.