Old 25-07-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default need plants to control weeds

Sacha writes
On 25/7/06 03:04, in article
. com, "computar2006"
wrote:

Bill Mitchelmore wrote:

snip
I have also heard of a nematode that is a natural control for Japanese
Knotweed, it supposedly eats it from the root upwards but I am afraid
that's as far as my knowledge goes.

HTH

Bill

Thanks, but no thanks. I am dead against any form of chemical
weedkiller.

But what about the nematode? That's natural and they're very effective
against slugs, too.

Surely not the same nematode???
--
Kay
Old 26-07-2006, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

I believe Japanese Knotweed is a notifiable weed

No, it is not notifiable. You do not have to notify anyone if you have it.
Nor is it covered by the Weeds Act 1959. It is however covered by Section
14 of the Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981, which prohibits you from
planting it in the wild or causing it to grow there.

--
Kay

It's also covered by the EPA 1990 duty of care regs 1991.
To this extent it's a controlled and notifiable waste.
Same rules as Hogweed I think.

Old 26-07-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

I believe Japanese Knotweed is a notifiable weed

No, it is not notifiable. You do not have to notify anyone if you have it.
Nor is it covered by the Weeds Act 1959. It is however covered by Section
14 of the Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981, which prohibits you from
planting it in the wild or causing it to grow there.

--
Kay

It's also covered by the EPA 1990 duty of care regs 1991.
To this extent it's a controlled and notifiable waste.
Same rules as Hogweed I think.

That covers its disposal, which must be at a site approved to take it.

But I have not been able to find any legislation that requires you to
notify anyone of its presence on your land, nor have I been able to find
anything that requires you to get rid of it on your land.

--
Kay