Old 21-07-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris

Default What are the absolute best gardening tools?

What are the absolute best gardening tools?

My grandfather was a good gardener - and he told me, "Always buy the
best tools you can afford".

At long last, I believe him!
So ... what are the best of the best?
--
Chris
Old 21-07-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
What are the absolute best gardening tools?

My grandfather was a good gardener - and he told me, "Always buy the
best tools you can afford".

At long last, I believe him!
So ... what are the best of the best?

Felco secateurs
Tina knives
Wolf tools do some good hoes etc - avoid their really weird designs
tho.
Decent trowels etc are hard to find.
Spades and forks likewise, you just have to try some that look OK, use
them over many years and if they haven't broken after that you've
forgotten what make they are or the mfr has gone out of business.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 21-07-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Rod Craddock
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
What are the absolute best gardening tools?

My grandfather was a good gardener - and he told me, "Always buy the
best tools you can afford".

At long last, I believe him!
So ... what are the best of the best?

Felco secateurs
Tina knives
Wolf tools do some good hoes etc - avoid their really weird designs
tho.
Decent trowels etc are hard to find.
Spades and forks likewise, you just have to try some that look OK, use
them over many years and if they haven't broken after that you've
forgotten what make they are or the mfr has gone out of business.

And Hawes watering cans - very important, especially in droughts like
the one we are having at present. As they are perfectly balanced, you
can make a full can of water go an awful long way.
--
June Hughes
Old 21-07-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

Chris wrote:
What are the absolute best gardening tools?

My grandfather was a good gardener - and he told me, "Always buy the
best tools you can afford".

At long last, I believe him!
So ... what are the best of the best?

'Fraid I can't recommend manufacturers, Chris, but whatever you do
keep away from stainless steel.It will flash the sun into your eyes when
you don't expect it. Not a comfortable thing at all.
Old 21-07-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
What are the absolute best gardening tools?

A really good old-fashioned carbon steel spade is very tricky to find,
but the Stainless spear&jackson ones are good. Their "traditional"
carbon steel hand trowel should last a while, but it doesn't have a
wrought iron tang like they made in the 1920s..... Good stuff, though.
I have a friend who swears by the Joseph Bentley range of forks and
spades, but don't own any myself.

I have seen some very good tools in the agricultural merchants. You
can't get away with selling junk to farmers. I would, however, always
buy wheelbarrows from builder's merchants. Get one with a large
pneumatic tyre and roller bearings if you can.

I have a sandvik "laplander" folding pruning saw with a teflon coating.
I think they call themselves Bacho now. Totally brilliant, always
sharp, good folding mechanism.

For pocket knives, you cannot beat sheffield made:
http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/ind_...sub_cat=wooden
remember to keep the pin oiled, mind: they are not yer moden
neglectable items. The slim pruner is just what my Grandad used to
use: I have a lambsfoot for cutting string and things, You can buy
them in good garden/farm shops or gun shops. For a good, plain, knife
with a locking blade you can't beat Opinel. Nice wooden handle, bright
locking ring. They make them with stainless and carbon blades - the
carbon bladed ones will take and keep a sharper edge, but do rust quite
easily if neglected. http://www.opinel.com/FR/index.htm . You can get
them almost anywhere, and they will last for years.

If you want the very best axe you can get, try this lot:
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html. Look on thier products
page at the splitting Maul - I have one of those and it is imortal. I
suspect they used to make hammers for Thor.

Inside the potting shed, the most important tool is the kettle. If an
electric one, get one that will take some bashing and won't mind
freezing solid - that probly means a straight-sided jug kettle, plastic
bodied. Ignore gimicks like sight glasses and the like - more places
to leak. The proper kettle for gardeners, though, is a gas one that
sits on a gas ring or paraffin stove.
http://www.heritage-gifts.co.uk/horw...0l-p-6264.html is
the sort of thing to aim for.

On the subject of parrafin heaters... No, that's enough for now

Old 21-07-2006, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , Rod Craddock
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
What are the absolute best gardening tools?

My grandfather was a good gardener - and he told me, "Always buy the
best tools you can afford".

At long last, I believe him!
So ... what are the best of the best?

Felco secateurs
Tina knives
Wolf tools do some good hoes etc - avoid their really weird designs
tho.
Decent trowels etc are hard to find.
Spades and forks likewise, you just have to try some that look OK, use
them over many years and if they haven't broken after that you've
forgotten what make they are or the mfr has gone out of business.

And Hawes watering cans - very important, especially in droughts like
the one we are having at present. As they are perfectly balanced, you
can make a full can of water go an awful long way.
Sorry - when watering plants tonight, I noticed it is Haws and not
Hawes.
--
June Hughes
Old 22-07-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Chris" wrote
What are the absolute best gardening tools?

My grandfather was a good gardener - and he told me, "Always buy the best
tools you can afford".

At long last, I believe him!
So ... what are the best of the best?

Secateurs.. Felco, as Rod says, Swiss made and parts are available should
the unthinkable happen. Used by all the professional gardeners I've ever
seen, and the RHS, Kew etc etc.
Sundry Tools .. The smaller Wolf Push Pull Weeder is the best weeding hoe
I've ever come across and you buy a handle to fit you for length. Their
other tools in the "Multichange" range are also well built and last, I use
their claw quite a bit too.
Draw hoe.. (for spud banking up) I have yet to find one that works as well
as the old one I broke, they are either at the wrong angle or bend/break and
all need sharpening. (any suggestions welcome)
I have "Bulldog" British forged stainless steel fork and spade, excellent
quality if you can find them secondhand, they aren't made any more, too
expensive to manufacture. Traditional, heavy, but a joy to use.
Trowels.. I prefer the slim bladed forged/welded ones, much easier for
planting out baby veg plants, never bother with the pressed out of sheet
steel ones they don't last a moment.
Line, you make yourself.
Power tools.. Stihl followed by Husqvarna.
Cultivators.. Honda or that very expensive one whose name escapes me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
Clarington Forge Tools from Bulldog Tools UK Robert Larson Lawns 0 31-03-2007 05:24 PM
Absolute beginer Peter C Bonsai 4 01-09-2004 10:10 AM
Absolute rank never-done-nothing beginner. Help! Rev. J. Toad Gardening 8 25-03-2003 05:56 PM