Old 30-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Registered User

Default Absolute beginer

Relatively new to gardening generally (that is the big area just outside the house isnt it?). My first job is clearing the whole are and I have a few self planted hollys about 1-2 year old (spread from mature trees outside my garden) Will they bonsai?
Old 31-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Jim Lewis

On 30 Aug 2004 at 19:35, Peter C wrote:

Relatively new to gardening generally (that is the big area just outside
the house isnt it?). My first job is clearing the whole are and I have a
few self planted hollys about 1-2 year old (spread from mature trees
outside my garden) Will they bonsai?

Well, welcome to the green world. You probably will have a
fairly steep learning curve if you're really that new to growing
things, but it can be done.

Check out bonsai books in your local library. Read the bonsai
book reviews in our web pages (address below), then check out
our "Knowledge Base" and FAQ. Also visit our sponsors (on web
page). Many of them have very informative articles -- and
pictures -- on their pages.

As for hollies, some make excellent bonsai, others make OK
bonsai, and yet others are unsuitable . . . so herewith your
first lesson in growing things: You need to know the EXACT kind
of plant you are talking about. This means -- shudder -- Latin
names.

Hollies are in the genus Ilex, but there are upwards of 400
species of holly, so your choice is large, and _we_ can't give
much advice with just "Holly."

Note that it also helps us help you if you let us know
whereabouts you live -- perhaps in a sig line, like . . .

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-08-2004, 04:58 AM
wardo

"If you grow it....................... it will bonsai"

Sorry, bad quote rip off from the movie Field of Dreams. Actually, from
what I understand, you can bonsai most anything that has a woody stem.
There are a few other considerations (tap root, etc.). I have even seen
a geranium bonsai.

--
wardo
wardo's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...fo&userid=3037

Old 31-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Jim Lewis

On 31 Aug 2004 at 3:58, wardo wrote:

"If you grow it....................... it will bonsai"

snip

from
what I understand, you can bonsai most anything that has a woody stem.
There are a few other considerations (tap root, etc.). I have even seen
a geranium bonsai.

Well, that _is_ true . . .

BUT . . .

1. Only if you go with the literal definition of "bonsai" --
tree (plant) in a pot.
2. Will it be a GOOD bonsai? i.e. resemble an aged tree in
miniature?
3. Would it be worth the effort, considering that the answer to

Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Registered User

Many thanks gentlemen.....I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing......

Pete Nicholls, West Yorkshire, UK