Old 22-07-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default blueberries

I was lucky enough to attend a talk given by Jennifer Trehane (whose
family run the Dorset Blueberry company - who grow blueberries form
M&S.
She gave a little history of how here father imported 1000 plant from
New Jersey consisted of Jersey, Berkley, Blueray, Herbert, Ivanhoe and
Bluecrop.
Bluecrop is the most widely grown blueberry. Yhe blueberry season can
last 12 weeks or so provideed yoou are lucky with cultivars. Duke,
which I grow, has just come ripe.
As for late crops Chandler is late (unfortunately it hasn't set this
year). A variety called Elliot is one of the later bearers of fruit.
I have three varieties in all, Duke, Chandler and Sunshine Blue. They
seem to come into flower at similar times. How typical that is I do
not know.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire