Old 24-07-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes query

A neighbour on my allotments came out so boldly with a statement that I
thought I would check with the newsgroup before responding. He said that
courgettes do not need to be pollinated. Is that right? I thought they had
to be pollinated or they would drop off as , as far as the plant was
concerned, it was not worth continuing with that courgette. I notice on the
Internet that the RHS says it is necessary to pollinate but T and M suggest
otherwise

Thanks in advance

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 24-07-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
A neighbour on my allotments came out so boldly with a statement that I
thought I would check with the newsgroup before responding. He said that
courgettes do not need to be pollinated. Is that right? I thought they had
to be pollinated or they would drop off as , as far as the plant was
concerned, it was not worth continuing with that courgette. I notice on
the
Internet that the RHS says it is necessary to pollinate but T and M
suggest
otherwise

Your neighbour probably meant that they don't need to be pollinated
manually. I don't know for sure whether they're self-pollinating, or easily
pollinated by insects etc, but I know that although I've never heard of
gardeners pollinating them manually, everybody has a glut of courgettes
about now, so the system works :-))

Steve

Old 24-07-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
:
: Your neighbour probably meant that they don't need to be pollinated
: manually. I don't know for sure whether they're self-pollinating, or
easily
: pollinated by insects etc, but I know that although I've never heard of
: gardeners pollinating them manually, everybody has a glut of courgettes
: about now, so the system works :-))
:
: Steve
:
No he thought pollination was unnecessary which is not correct is it?

Old 24-07-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
A neighbour on my allotments came out so boldly with a statement that I
thought I would check with the newsgroup before responding. He said that
courgettes do not need to be pollinated. Is that right? I thought they

had
to be pollinated or they would drop off as , as far as the plant was
concerned, it was not worth continuing with that courgette. I notice on
the
Internet that the RHS says it is necessary to pollinate but T and M
suggest
otherwise

~~~~~~~~~~~They do need pollinating. Without they will wither and fall. It
is a fruit [berry] and must be pollinated to produce seeds and grow.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 24-07-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert"wrote :
: Your neighbour probably meant that they don't need to be pollinated
: manually. I don't know for sure whether they're self-pollinating, or
easily
: pollinated by insects etc, but I know that although I've never heard of
: gardeners pollinating them manually, everybody has a glut of courgettes
: about now, so the system works :-))

No he thought pollination was unnecessary which is not correct is it?

No it is not correct, they do need pollinating or they would wither and die
off. This often happens to the very first fruit as there are not many male
flowers open.
If you let them grow they turn into proper marrows with viable seed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-07-2006, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks everybody, thought I was right but wanted to make sure

www.rraa.moonfruit.com