Old 25-07-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mildew decimating my garden - help!

Hi there

I'm wondering whether anybody might be able to give me some advice about
controlling mildew in my garden. I have a problem with it every year and
this year has been worse than usual.

At the beginning of the season, I start spraying non-edible crops with
'Fungus Fighter' or something similar as soon as I see any signs of
mildew and I use sulphur powder for my edibles. I do this once every few
weeks but by about July, I tend to lose the battle (I suspect that the
sulphur powder doesn't control the problem adequately) and then have to
start cutting things back in order to get rid of all mouldy foliage.

This year, I spent some time away and when I returned everything had
signs of mould:

Clematis: curled up blackened leaves with dark mouldy patches on them

Honeysuckle: yellowing dying leaves with black spots

Jasmine: grey mould on some leaves

Phormium: bright white mould at base of leaves and also some on the
surfaces of leaves

Buddleja: yellowing leaves, some dark and curling with slight pale
yellow powdery coating

Roses: yellowing and blackened leaves with grey mould

Foxgloves: white speckles on leaves

Basil, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, thyme, mint: all covered in tiny
pale yellowy-white speckles

Sage: yellowing slightly white-ish leaves

Also, this year, some of the leaves on my tomato plants have been
affected (usually I'm able to control this to the extent that my tomato
plants are not affected).

So my question is, how do I control this stuff? I try and clear all
affected foliage, I do not use it on the compost heap and I ensure that
the roots of plants are wet before I use products such as 'Fungus
Fighter'. This year, I have had to cut everything back and so my garden
is looking very sparse indeed instead of being in full bloom in the
summer as it should be.

Anotgher question is, can I take all the affected leaves off my tomato
plants without harming the tomatoes themselves which all look good and
healthy and are ripening nicely ie. do tomato plants need all; their
leaves?!

Can anyone give me some advice at all? All help gratefully received!

Many thanks

Ruth
Old 25-07-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:00:31 +0100, wrote:

Hi there

snip long list of plants with various mildews

Plants are often more susceptible to mildew when they are dry at the
roots. Keep them well watered. Probably won't cure it, but may help
for next year.

--
Chris

Old 26-07-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:00:31 +0100, wrote:

Hi there

snip long list of plants with various mildews

Plants are often more susceptible to mildew when they are dry at the
roots. Keep them well watered. Probably won't cure it, but may help
for next year.

Very useful - many thanks.

Ruth