Old 25-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Default garlic

hello everyone. Please don't flame me, the FAQ page seems to be down, so please accept my apologies if this has been dealt with before.

I've just moved into a new house with a big old garden (i'm sure you;'ve heard this a thousand times before) I'm going to live with the space for a while and learn what's in it before making any radical changes, but as my first foray I planted some tubs with herbs from the local garden centre.

Among these are some garlic plants (I promise I have done a search and couldn't find the answer). My question is this: what do I do with them? Do I pull up the bulbs to use in my next salad OR does garlic flower and produce seeds from which I can grow more garlic.

It's a simple question (I think) and I am a very simple person as far as gardening is concerned. I thank you for your patience.

warm regards
john
Old 26-07-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"warby" wrote

hello everyone. Please don't flame me, the FAQ page seems to be down, so
please accept my apologies if this has been dealt with before.

I've just moved into a new house with a big old garden (i'm sure
you;'ve heard this a thousand times before) I'm going to live with the
space for a while and learn what's in it before making any radical
changes, but as my first foray I planted some tubs with herbs from the
local garden centre.

Among these are some garlic plants (I promise I have done a search and
couldn't find the answer). My question is this: what do I do with them?
Do I pull up the bulbs to use in my next salad OR does garlic flower and
produce seeds from which I can grow more garlic.

It's a simple question (I think) and I am a very simple person as far
as gardening is concerned. I thank you for your patience.

Garlic is usually planted in Sept/Oct and cropped in June. It should be
hanging up somewhere dry now.
Are you sure you have bought real Garlic?
No, Garlic is not grown from seed but from the individual cloves broken from
a head.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
"warby" wrote

[...]

Ah!!! Right. My goodness. There is so much to learn.

Many thanks Bob.
Old 27-07-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"warby" wrote ((snip))

Ah!!! Right. My goodness. There is so much to learn.

And you never stop learning with regard to gardening and plants. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-07-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"warby" wrote ((snip))

Ah!!! Right. My goodness. There is so much to learn.

And you never stop learning with regard to gardening and plants. :-)

No, and I didn't know there was a FAQ. Where is it, please?

Mary

Old 02-08-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

No, and I didn't know there was a FAQ. Where is it, please?

Mary

Voila-- http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

I've only just seen this reply, thank you for posting that.

Mary

Old 03-08-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:17:14 +0100, warby
wrote:

My question is this: what do I do with
them?
Do I pull up the bulbs to use in my next salad OR does garlic flower
and
produce seeds from which I can grow more garlic.

Some garlic plants do "flower", and like some onions, form a head of
very tiny bulbs which can be planted, but take longer to come to
maturity and in my experience is hardly worth the effort. Grow them in
seed trays initially.
By now garlic not dug up may well have lost all its top growth, and
unless you are very tidy and methodical, you will have lost them and
find them coming up again next year!
A lesson I learned; be careful to harvest your garlic before the tops
die down. Save a few cloves to plant in October for next year's crop.
Plant about 2 inches deep, unlike onions and shallots which are
planted on the soil surface.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

My question is this: what do I do with
them?
Do I pull up the bulbs to use in my next salad OR does garlic flower
and
produce seeds from which I can grow more garlic.

Some garlic plants do "flower", and like some onions, form a head of
very tiny bulbs which can be planted, but take longer to come to
maturity and in my experience is hardly worth the effort. Grow them in
seed trays initially.

I'm going to do it with a few, just to see what happens. I hope I live long
enough :-)

By now garlic not dug up may well have lost all its top growth, and
unless you are very tidy and methodical, you will have lost them and
find them coming up again next year!

I've harvested all mine.

boast

Mary

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM