Old 31-07-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do Wasps Cause Damage

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

snip

I think you must be very attractive to goats when you're in the shower.

Mary

Well, it's just that the real problem is that I also find the goats
attractive.

I'll keep you away from Spouse!

Mary

Old 31-07-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It has been said before that wasp nests in eaves of houses are normally only
used once, ours has been used every year for past 3 years. I know I should
remove it over winter, and seal the hole but just waiting to see how many
more years they intend to colonise my house, and not pay rent.
Bees I can stand and indeed actively encourage also have no qualms about
deadheading whilst they are gathering pollen off the same plant, as long
they stick to the other side of the plant from where I am working thats ok
for both of us.
regards
Cineman

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Yes it's that time of year again.
Our house seems to be the preferred holiday destination for all wasps in
the East Riding!

Hmm. I think that's just a bit of an exaggeration. OK, a LOT of an
exaggeration!

Having had problems with wasps in the main house loft a couple of years
ago, I have been watching the eaves closely for signs of wasp entry and
spraying with nest destroyer to discourage them.

That's a shame.

BAD NEWS, my surveys missed our new single storey pitched roof at the
back and they are having to flight-stack on approach there are so many
going in and out.
But.....this loft is not needed for storage or for maintenance access, it
has fixed wiring feeds only and no plumbing.

So, if I just leave them, do they eat any materials in the loft space?

No.

Cables? Wooden Rafters? Insulation, roof or cavity wall? Lightweight
blocks or bricks?

NO.

Any other way they can damage the fabric of our new build?

No.

And all the wasps but the new queens will die this autumn, the nest won't
be re-used so you'll be able to cut it out and examine the marvellous
structure. The new queens will hibernate somewhere else until spring when
they'll make new nests - the few which survive that is.

I guess that you haven't been stung, that you're just frightened because
one MIGHT sting you? Relax, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
Enjoy the summer, there are much worse things around.

Mary

Old 01-08-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
k...
It has been said before that wasp nests in eaves of houses are normally
only used once, ours has been used every year for past 3 years.

In what way is it re-used?

Mary

Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

snip

I think you must be very attractive to goats when you're in the shower.

Mary

Well, it's just that the real problem is that I also find the goats
attractive.

I'll keep you away from Spouse!

That's not a very nice thing to say about the poor old chap. With some
elbow-grease I'm sure he cleans up beautifully.

--
Mike.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

snip

I think you must be very attractive to goats when you're in the
shower.

Mary

Well, it's just that the real problem is that I also find the goats
attractive.

I'll keep you away from Spouse!

That's not a very nice thing to say about the poor old chap. With some
elbow-grease I'm sure he cleans up beautifully.

I wouldn't know. I've not met Rupert despite living so close.

Mary

--
Mike.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can't be bothered to read the whole post.

I had a nest of wasps eat through the loft floor aka my bedroom ceiling and
join us one day. Not nice!

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way