Old 31-07-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do Wasps Cause Damage

Hi all

Yes it's that time of year again.
Our house seems to be the preferred holiday destination for all wasps in the
East Riding!
Having had problems with wasps in the main house loft a couple of years ago,
I have been watching the eaves closely for signs of wasp entry and spraying
with nest destroyer to discourage them.
BAD NEWS, my surveys missed our new single storey pitched roof at the back
and they are having to flight-stack on approach there are so many going in
and out.
But.....this loft is not needed for storage or for maintenance access, it
has fixed wiring feeds only and no plumbing.

So, if I just leave them, do they eat any materials in the loft space?
Cables? Wooden Rafters? Insulation, roof or cavity wall? Lightweight
blocks or bricks?
Any other way they can damage the fabric of our new build?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Old 31-07-2006, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

I don't think they will damage your house. I have some wasps in my
garden right now and they are busy eating gooseberries that have
dropped from the bush. I think they tend to eat sweet things. I've
never heard of wasps eating building materials. If you poke around
their nest, they will sting you.

Old 31-07-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Yes it's that time of year again.
Our house seems to be the preferred holiday destination for all wasps in
the East Riding!

Hmm. I think that's just a bit of an exaggeration. OK, a LOT of an
exaggeration!

Having had problems with wasps in the main house loft a couple of years
ago, I have been watching the eaves closely for signs of wasp entry and
spraying with nest destroyer to discourage them.

That's a shame.

BAD NEWS, my surveys missed our new single storey pitched roof at the back
and they are having to flight-stack on approach there are so many going in
and out.
But.....this loft is not needed for storage or for maintenance access, it
has fixed wiring feeds only and no plumbing.

So, if I just leave them, do they eat any materials in the loft space?

No.

Cables? Wooden Rafters? Insulation, roof or cavity wall? Lightweight
blocks or bricks?

NO.

Any other way they can damage the fabric of our new build?

No.

And all the wasps but the new queens will die this autumn, the nest won't be
re-used so you'll be able to cut it out and examine the marvellous
structure. The new queens will hibernate somewhere else until spring when
they'll make new nests - the few which survive that is.

I guess that you haven't been stung, that you're just frightened because one
MIGHT sting you? Relax, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Enjoy
the summer, there are much worse things around.

Mary

Old 31-07-2006, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

computar2006 wrote:
If you poke around their nest, they will sting you.

Thanks I was just about to go out with a stick. ;-)

Old 31-07-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote

I guess that you haven't been stung, that you're just frightened because
one MIGHT sting you? Relax, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
Enjoy the summer, there are much worse things around.

Mary

Hi Mary

I've seen you leap to the defence of these, and other, insects in the past.
Yes I have been stung a few times as a child and it has left a lasting
revulsion.
The nest being located in single storey eaves puts them too close to head
level for my liking.
Eating outside becomes a real trial, particularly when a stubborn one just
won't get the message and clear off.

So assuming they do eventually leave us in peace this autumn, how do I know
the nest is empty and safe to remove?
As soon as there are no comings-and-goings during the day?

I had a large nest in the main loft which the council came to remove.
Unfortunately many wasps made it into our domestic hot water tank and from
there into the hw cylinder and on to shower filters, hot taps etc.
So, no they are not my favourite creatures in the whole wide world.

Phil

Old 31-07-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

So, no they are not my favourite creatures in the whole wide world.

Phil

Or mine and I will destroy then at every opportunity.
..
..
..
and to the 'tree huggers' or 'wasp huggers' .... have you seen someone
allergic to wasp stings, .... stung?

:-((((((((((((((((((((((((((

where is the wasp spray?

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 31-07-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You need to fit a tight cover to your cold water tank. This simple remedy
prevents rats,mice, birds, woodlice,earwigs,elephants and wasps appearing
down the taps.

Old 31-07-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]
You need to fit a tight cover to your cold water tank. This simple remedy
prevents rats,mice, birds, woodlice,earwigs,elephants and wasps appearing
down the taps.

Not goats, though. Nothing stops a goat.

--
Mike.

Old 31-07-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]
You need to fit a tight cover to your cold water tank. This simple remedy
prevents rats,mice, birds, woodlice,earwigs,elephants and wasps appearing
down the taps.

Not goats, though. Nothing stops a goat.

Excellent info thanks. That explains why the damned things keep appearing
next to me in the shower.

--
Mike.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:
| "Mike Lyle" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|
| You need to fit a tight cover to your cold water tank. This simple remedy
| prevents rats,mice, birds, woodlice,earwigs,elephants and wasps appearing
| down the taps.
|
| Not goats, though. Nothing stops a goat.
|
| Excellent info thanks. That explains why the damned things keep appearing
| next to me in the shower.

My problem is with the pigeons - they really get my goat, poor thing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| Or mine and I will destroy then at every opportunity.
| .
| and to the 'tree huggers' or 'wasp huggers' .... have you seen someone
| allergic to wasp stings, .... stung?
|
| :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((
|
| where is the wasp spray?

There are fewer people allergic to them in the UK than are allergic to
bees - do you regard varroa as a Good Thing?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:
| "Mike Lyle" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|
| You need to fit a tight cover to your cold water tank. This simple
remedy
| prevents rats,mice, birds, woodlice,earwigs,elephants and wasps
appearing
| down the taps.
|
| Not goats, though. Nothing stops a goat.
|
| Excellent info thanks. That explains why the damned things keep
appearing
| next to me in the shower.

My problem is with the pigeons - they really get my goat, poor thing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

..
I am sorry about your goat but this is not the place to go nannying on about
pigeons.

Old 31-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I've been bitten by dogs.

I don't want to destroy all dogs.

Old 31-07-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]
You need to fit a tight cover to your cold water tank. This simple
remedy
prevents rats,mice, birds, woodlice,earwigs,elephants and wasps
appearing
down the taps.

Not goats, though. Nothing stops a goat.

Excellent info thanks. That explains why the damned things keep appearing
next to me in the shower.

I think you must be very attractive to goats when you're in the shower.

Mary

--
Mike.

Old 31-07-2006, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

snip

I think you must be very attractive to goats when you're in the shower.

Mary

Well, it's just that the real problem is that I also find the goats
attractive.