Old 31-07-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Edible Gingers?

Can anyone advise what variety of Ginger is commonly sold in the shops?
Are the rhizomes of any Ginger plant edible?
With all the sun even my gingers have done very well and I sense a good
munching session in a few months time.

Old 31-07-2006, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Can anyone advise what variety of Ginger is commonly sold in the shops?
Are the rhizomes of any Ginger plant edible?
With all the sun even my gingers have done very well and I sense a good
munching session in a few months time.

I'd like to know how you did it, please. The only ones I've seen growing
were in very steamy hothouses in Suffolk.

Mary

Old 31-07-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Can anyone advise what variety of Ginger is commonly sold in the shops?
Are the rhizomes of any Ginger plant edible?
With all the sun even my gingers have done very well and I sense a good
munching session in a few months time.

I'd like to know how you did it, please. The only ones I've seen growing
were in very steamy hothouses in Suffolk.

Mary

You need to move a few miles nearer the Gulf stream like me:-)

The rhizomes from the supermarket only seem to produce quite small (1foot )
plants and do not seem to bulk up particularly well, hence my question about
the commercial variety.
Cautleya spicata , Hedychium forrestii and H.gardnerianum are three that I
am growing.
The forrestii was about six feet tall but the wind snapped the top off
today.
Although I am fairly confident about overwintering the two Hedychium I don't
think they would make much growth in the short growing season.
The best technique is to start the rhizomes off very early in the year on a
heated mat/bench and plant out when they have made good growth (the same
technique for Canna )
It will be interesting to see if I get flowers before the first frosts.

Old 31-07-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The rhizomes from the supermarket only seem to produce quite small (1foot )
plants and do not seem to bulk up particularly well, hence my question about
the commercial variety.
Cautleya spicata , Hedychium forrestii and H.gardnerianum are three that I
am growing.
The forrestii was about six feet tall but the wind snapped the top off
today.
Although I am fairly confident about overwintering the two Hedychium I don't
think they would make much growth in the short growing season.
The best technique is to start the rhizomes off very early in the year on a
heated mat/bench and plant out when they have made good growth (the same
technique for Canna )
It will be interesting to see if I get flowers before the first frosts.

Usher "Plants Used by Man"

H.coronarium - possible source of paper pulp
H longicornutum - decoction of the roots used locally to treat ear-ache
H spicatum - rhizome used in some parts of tropical Asia in the
manufacture of perfume

No mention of cautleya

Commcial ginger in Zingiber officinale

--
Kay
Old 31-07-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

You need to move a few miles nearer the Gulf stream like me:-)

How much nearer are you than me?

:-)

Mary

Old 31-07-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

You need to move a few miles nearer the Gulf stream like me:-)

How much nearer are you than me?

:-)

Mary

Here to Leeds (town hall) about 52800 feet as the crone flies:-)
They are just about to reopen the ski slopes in N.Yorks and in S. Yorks the
Doncaster desert received an above average annual rainfall of 0.12".
E.Yorks had another hurricane last week.
So grateful I live in the gulf stream area of W.Yorks

Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
news
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

[...]

I have checked the three I am growing and I seem to remember getting them
because they are the most hardy.
Had a good perusal of Zingiber officinale (thanks) and it looks as if there
is more than one-but none of them form massive plants so perhaps my previous
efforts have not been too bad.
Any road, if all else fails I can make paper, perfumed tissues and stuff
them in my ears. They probably won't cure ear-ache but it will give folk a
good laugh.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

The rhizomes from the supermarket only seem to produce quite small (1foot )
plants and do not seem to bulk up particularly well, hence my question about
the commercial variety.

But the supermarket rhizomes are the commercial variety Rupert. As
ornamental plants, modern culinary strains of Zinziber officinalis are
very dull and uninteresting. They have been developed to produce large
mats of rhizomes quickly, which is what they do given the right amount
of light, heat and moisture. Most rarely exceed 60cms. in height and
the erect, thin, pseudostems clad in narrow, dull green leaves are
amongst the least attractive of the entire ginger family.

As to flowering, few of the commercial strains produce flowers and
those that do carry them in brownish-green, cone-like heads of bracts
just a few cms. above soil-level. The flowers are small, short-lived
and mainly off-white with dull purple lips. There are very easily
overlooked and no great cause for any excitement. To grow well and
produce good-sized rhizomes, 'root ginger' needs average *minimum*
temperatures of above 21C. high humidity and at our latitudes, good
light. It is deciduous and will grow in light shade out of doors in
the far south. Elsewhere it is best grown under glass or polythene,
where temperatures and humidity are higher.

Cautleya spicata , Hedychium forrestii and H.gardnerianum are three that I
am growing.
The forrestii was about six feet tall but the wind snapped the top off
today.
Although I am fairly confident about overwintering the two Hedychium I don't
think they would make much growth in the short growing season.

Don't mix these up with 'root ginger', they are not used as culinary
spices, although a few have some medicinal value. They are primarily
as ornamental plants.

Hedychium forrestii (hort.) is one of the hardiest of all Hedychiums
and is robust and fast enough to flower well in most UK gardens. All
it needs is full sun, plenty of water and a rich, well manured soil.
In the south it can quickly reach nearly 3m. producing racemes of
narcissus-scented white flowers at the tops of the attractively leafy
stems. Flowers appear as early as late June in the south, but may not
open until September in the north. When the flowers fade, these are
often replaced by pods, which open to reveal bright orange insides, set
with glistening red 'berries'. It is a deciduous species with the
foliage turning amber and then yellow before dying down in winter.

Hedychium gardnerianum rarely exceeds 2m. in the UK and is a very
robust species carrying large heads of heavily gardenia-scented, rich
or creamy yellow flowers (there are several forms) with contrasting
reddish filaments. It is more tender and flowers too late to miss the
first frosts in most northern gardens. Here in the south it usually
flowers from August through to late October, but in some years it will
carry on until Christmas. The broad, glaucous green foliage is very
handsome and provides the perfect foil for the flowers. In warm
regions it can be planted in sunny borders where it will build up into
a large clump. Elsewhere needs to be grown in large tubs that can be
brought indoors when the weather turns colder.

Cautleya spicata is purely a hardy ornamental ginger relative and a
very good one too. In northern counties where Hedychiums fail to do
well, Cautleya provides a nice spash of colour with its red-bracted
spikes of bright yellow flowers from mid-summer onwards. It has good,
lush foliage, nicely set off by reddish stems and at not much more than
1m. high, is suitable for the smallest gardens. A bright spot and
humus rich soil is all that is necessary for it to develop into an
impressive clump. Why it isn't offered in every garden centre and
nursery completely escapes me. It is a really good garden plant.

The best technique is to start the rhizomes off very early in the year on a
heated mat/bench and plant out when they have made good growth (the same
technique for Canna )

Not really. Cannas happily cope with being lifted and boxed every
year. Hedychiums need to settle and are best if allowed to develop
into large clumps. Indeed, most young divisions fail to flower in
their first year unless they've had a good long growing season. Tender
species and hybrids should be grown in large containers and moved
outside from May through to September (in colder regions). H.
gardnerianum is an evergreen species that is best kept 'ticking over'
through the winter. Deciduous forms such as H. forrestii, spicatum,
yunnanense and densiflorum are really quite hardy and only need a good
thick mulch when the stems have died down. They should be left in
situ.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

[...]

Brilliant just what I needed to know. The problem with leaving the things in
the ground up here is that by the time they have a bit of decent growth the
first frosts are coming.
This year has been different-I notice with much glee that the temperatures
here have sometimes been even hotter than your area:-)
How are the promiscuous Musa doing?

Old 01-08-2006, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Brilliant just what I needed to know. The problem with leaving the things in
the ground up here is that by the time they have a bit of decent growth the
first frosts are coming.

Yes, that is the main problem with growing exotics in the north. They
need some heat to wake them from dormancy, so the only way around it is
to keep them growing slowly in winter. That way, they respond to
lengthening days quickly and make good headway.

This year has been different-I notice with much glee that the temperatures
here have sometimes been even hotter than your area:-)

Oh really? You've caught me on the wrong day to make such claims Rupe
:-) I've just finished my figs for July's temperatures here (sad git
that I am) and they make impressive reading: The overall average
temperature for the entire month was a hefty 23C some 5 degrees above
normal, with average maximums and minimums of 28C and 18C respectively.
The 30C barrier was exceeded on 9 days with a run of 3 consecutive
days at the start of the month and then 6 consecutive days from the
16th. The maximum temperature was 34.8C and the lowest daytime was
23.1. For 24 days temperatures exceeded 25C and the coolest night was
just 15C. Somehow, I don't think anywhere in Yorkshire quite managed
that.

How are the promiscuous Musa doing?

Depressingly horny - yet another trunk is going phallic on me with a
big thingy poking out of its top. On the bright side, a less dense
canopy of leaves next year will enable other plants to make a bit more
headway. I have a Taiwanese 'Sugar palm' (Arenga micrantha) that is
now well enough established to need more light. That will break
through and at least fill in at the mid-height level. Eventually it
will produce a 5-8m. high clump of leaves and trunks, but it is a tad
slow as a youngster.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ps.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

[...]

Buga foiled again. I assume the thermometer was calibrated and certified by
an accredited agency:-)
Our figures are less exhaustive but an abbreviated form says:-
"It wern't half ot lad"

How are the promiscuous Musa doing?

Depressingly horny - yet another trunk is going phallic on me with a
big thingy poking out of its top. On the bright side, a less dense
canopy of leaves next year will enable other plants to make a bit more
headway. I have a Taiwanese 'Sugar palm' (Arenga micrantha) that is
now well enough established to need more light. That will break
through and at least fill in at the mid-height level. Eventually it
will produce a 5-8m. high clump of leaves and trunks, but it is a tad
slow as a youngster.

IIRC both the Basjoo and Sikkimensis were strutting their stuff. I can't
make a decent name for the potential offspring which incorporates Poole:-)
That palm sounds interesting. Had a read about it. Shade and likes moist
soil, so it could go on my wish list for the day when I have a space.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

You need to move a few miles nearer the Gulf stream like me:-)

How much nearer are you than me?

:-)

Mary

Here to Leeds (town hall) about 52800 feet as the crone flies:-)
They are just about to reopen the ski slopes in N.Yorks and in S. Yorks
the Doncaster desert received an above average annual rainfall of 0.12".

Lucky them.

E.Yorks had another hurricane last week.

Not while I was there.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Buga foiled again. I assume the thermometer was calibrated and certified by
an accredited agency:-)

Of course not, but even if several percent out (and I've taken averages
from 3 spots in my patch), the figures still look good.

Our figures are less exhaustive but an abbreviated form says:-
"It wern't half ot lad"

I noticed your tendency for the occasional abbreviation. It must be a
geographical quirk - "buga" there, "booger" here and I suppose ...
bugger the rest? Sorry it was predictable, but irrresistable.

I have a Taiwanese 'Sugar palm' (Arenga micrantha) ...

IIRC both the Basjoo and Sikkimensis were strutting their stuff. I can't
make a decent name for the potential offspring which incorporates Poole:-)

No, no, please, I'd hate to be immortalised in a nana. At serious risk
of being utterly non-PC (What me? Perish the thought!) I suppose it
could be Musa x Sikjoo, but maybe that's inappropriate ATM.

That palm sounds interesting. Had a read about it. Shade and likes moist
soil, so it could go on my wish list for the day when I have a space.

Ah, now you're talking, although in view of many folk's experiences, it
is probably too tender for growing 'oop't noorth'. It does do better
in more sun than so far described and tends to weaken if grown in
continuous deep shade once the leaves exceed 60cms. or so. The Palm
Centre have described it as being "hardy", due to its provenance (at
relatively high elevations in the ***Himalayas), but in practice it is
only really possible in sheltered, southern localities.

That said, it is a superb foliage plant with very impressive fronds
that are at first lime-green, deepening with age. The backs of the
leaves are pale, silvery grey adding to the overall appeal. Each
leaflet is regularly positioned, but irregularly cut and with an
eventual, total frond length of nearly 3 metres, it becomes a hugely
impressive palm as the shortish trunk extends. There seem to be far
more failures than successes, so I feel particularly pleased that it
seems to do well here. Well so far at least.

*** I should explain that my describing it as 'Taiwanese' is because of
its extremely close alliance with an Arenga that is truly native to
Taiwan and Ryukyu, viz. A. engleri, which is a much slower growing,
more tender, smaller version.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
oups.com...

I noticed your tendency for the occasional abbreviation. It must be a
geographical quirk - "buga" there, "booger" here

It's not an abbreviation, it's called hedging your bets :-)

I have a Taiwanese 'Sugar palm' (Arenga micrantha) ...

Ah, now you're talking, although in view of many folk's experiences, it
is probably too tender for growing 'oop't noorth'.

Get it right. It's "oop north" - no definitive article.

sigh

these s**th*rn*rs ...