Old 09-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Terry

Default Sprouting/Growing Edible Chestnut?

Have again managed to get one of those Christmas "Chestnuts
roasting by an open fire" nuts to sprout.
Transplanted now to a spot near a cool window at moment, it has a
small stem a couple of centimetres long and hint of small leaves
about to form.
I had edible chestnuts sprouted and grown several inches, years
ago, but lost them during my late wife's illness. Not found much
'Chestnut' info on the internet so far.
I'm keen to get this one, the only one of eight current that has
sprouted at all, to grow.
We have successfully sprouted and transplanted 'Horse Chestnuts'
and have a couple in the garden right now. The nuts for those
came from old chestnuts around colonial buildings 'in the main
town'.
When it is eventually time to transplant outside, this is a cold
Atlantic coastal climate with a long winter; possibly similar to
Northern Scotland?
Any advice would be most welcome. Terry.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Terry wrote:
When it is eventually time to transplant outside, this is a cold
Atlantic coastal climate with a long winter; possibly similar to
Northern Scotland?

Chestnuts are pretty tough, and grow right up to northern Scotland,
though I can imagine that they are more delicate before they establish
themselves. Depending on how close you are to the sea, you may want
to choose a fairly unfrosty situation. I doubt that it will have much
trouble with lack of summer heat, except that it may not produce many
nuts. Once established, it will probably regrow from its roots even
if cut down by a hard winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 09-03-2003, 11:12 PM
david

The one thing you will have to watch out for during the first few months is
mice, they can dig it up going after the old chestnut at the base, and also
can chew away the bark during a late cold snap.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
sw

I found it remarkably easy to grow edible chestnuts.
Some years ago I planted some in a pot after Christmas and they all sprouted
and grew without any setbacks. Two of them are now strong healthy trees at
a location in S of Ireland. Sheltered, sunny position. They grow fairly
quickly and have a nice leaf which is unlike the other type of chestnut we
commonly see.
I have four more edible chestnuts coming on. They're still in pots. This
winter I decided to store some in the fridge (stratify?) before sowing them.
That may have been a mistake, and unnecessary. None appearing above the
soil yet and any I've tested are rotten.
== Sam ==

Old 10-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
sw wrote:
I have four more edible chestnuts coming on. They're still in pots. This
winter I decided to store some in the fridge (stratify?) before sowing them.
That may have been a mistake, and unnecessary. None appearing above the
soil yet and any I've tested are rotten.

They are native to southern Europe, Asia Minor etc., so stratification
is unlikely to be necessary, but I can't guess why the fridge would
have killed them. They can certainly survive damp, cool conditions in
the UK!

Old 11-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
sw wrote:
I have four more edible chestnuts coming on. They're still in pots. This
winter I decided to store some in the fridge (stratify?) before sowing them.
That may have been a mistake, and unnecessary. None appearing above the
soil yet and any I've tested are rotten.

They are native to southern Europe, Asia Minor etc., so stratification
is unlikely to be necessary, but I can't guess why the fridge would
have killed them. They can certainly survive damp, cool conditions in the UK!

They grow wild pretty well on Tuscan hillsides so I expect they are fairly
frost/snow tolerant too.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 PM
A.Malhotra

Martin Brown wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
sw wrote:
I have four more edible chestnuts coming on. They're still in pots. This
winter I decided to store some in the fridge (stratify?) before sowing them.
That may have been a mistake, and unnecessary. None appearing above the
soil yet and any I've tested are rotten.

They are native to southern Europe, Asia Minor etc., so stratification
is unlikely to be necessary, but I can't guess why the fridge would
have killed them. They can certainly survive damp, cool conditions in the UK!

They grow wild pretty well on Tuscan hillsides so I expect they are fairly
frost/snow tolerant too.

They grow at lower altitudes on these hillsides than I would expect to get
much snow in winter: although i have never been there in winter so cannot
be sure about that. The higher slopes which definitely get snow because
thats where the ski resorts are covered with beech forests rather than
chestnuts.
Anita