Old 01-08-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I've got a surplus of Walnut trees again?

Anyone want any?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 01-08-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Anyone want any?

sigh

If only I had room - and the right climate ...

Mary

Old 02-08-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Anyone want any?

sigh

If only I had room - and the right climate ...

Well you certainly do need room, they grow about 50 feet across, and about
th same height!

Alan

Mary

Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Anyone want any?

sigh

If only I had room - and the right climate ...

Well you certainly do need room, they grow about 50 feet across, and about
th same height!

Do they come true from seed? I'd expect a lot of variation.

--
Mike.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Do they come true from seed? I'd expect a lot of variation.

Less than you might think - they haven't been modified much by
cultivation, because they didn't need it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I don't understand. Ours has grown little over the last five years and yet
still supplies us with walnuts for over christmas.

I don't think ours has even reached 50' yet.

How long do you reckon it'd take?

Nick Byford
www.pennix.co.uk

Old 02-08-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Nick Byford" writes:

| I don't understand. Ours has grown little over the last five years and yet
| still supplies us with walnuts for over christmas.
|
| I don't think ours has even reached 50' yet.
|
| How long do you reckon it'd take?

Depending on conditions, anything from 50 years upwards. Ours is in
near-ideal conditions, and grows 1' a year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Nick Byford" writes:

| I don't understand. Ours has grown little over the last five years and
yet
| still supplies us with walnuts for over christmas.
|
| I don't think ours has even reached 50' yet.
|
| How long do you reckon it'd take?

Depending on conditions, anything from 50 years upwards. Ours is in
near-ideal conditions, and grows 1' a year.

Do you have another 49 years?

Mary

Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Do you have another 49 years?

God, I hope not! By the standards of my female line, I might - but, given
my medical history, not a chance. Admittedly, the reasons that I am the
oldest male for at least 4 generations (perhaps many more) in all branches
of my paternal line (at 58) are not inheritable.

But a walnut tree will grow to a decent size in 20 years on fertile loam
in the south, and ours is a bit older than that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Do you have another 49 years?

God, I hope not! By the standards of my female line, I might - but, given
my medical history, not a chance. Admittedly, the reasons that I am the
oldest male for at least 4 generations (perhaps many more) in all branches
of my paternal line (at 58) are not inheritable.

But a walnut tree will grow to a decent size in 20 years on fertile loam
in the south, and ours is a bit older than that.

I can't wait as long as that, even if I had 50' - or 20' spare :-)

Mary

Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Anyone want any?

sigh

If only I had room - and the right climate ...

Well you certainly do need room, they grow about 50 feet across, and
about
th same height!

Do they come true from seed? I'd expect a lot of variation.

I've never let another one grow so I have no idea, but I can assure you that
they all come from the seed from my tree!

All my neighbours for miles around all have walnut trees growing in their
gardens.

Alan

Alan

--
Mike.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Byford" wrote in message
I don't understand. Ours has grown little over the last five years and yet
still supplies us with walnuts for over christmas.

I don't think ours has even reached 50' yet.

How long do you reckon it'd take?

Mine has been in the ground for about 35 years.

Alan

Nick Byford
www.pennix.co.uk