Old 05-08-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default seeds 4 kids again

Hi all,
Thanks for replies to my last query.
Here goes with another one.
MY Granddaughter planted a packet of Striped caterpillar seeds, now I have
Googled and can find no match.
I have found this packet and this series of seed is from Unwins in the
Seeds4Kids range, however their website is down for refurb at present.
details on the packet are, small pale yellow flowers followed by green,
deeply marked seed pods which roll up and look just like caterpillars.
Can any one assist again with the name of these plants?
Many thanks in advance
regards
Cineman

Old 06-08-2006, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/8/06 23:21, in article ,
"cineman" wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks for replies to my last query.
Here goes with another one.
MY Granddaughter planted a packet of Striped caterpillar seeds, now I have
Googled and can find no match.
I have found this packet and this series of seed is from Unwins in the
Seeds4Kids range, however their website is down for refurb at present.
details on the packet are, small pale yellow flowers followed by green,
deeply marked seed pods which roll up and look just like caterpillars.
Can any one assist again with the name of these plants?

Maybe Scorpiurus muricatus.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-08-2006, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
Many thanks Sacha I think thats a bulls eye.
agree.
My Granddaughter who is 6 is Downs and sowing, planting and raising plants
has the ability to improve many skill ranges.
When sowing we count the seeds as she sows them thereby helping with
numbers. The actual sowing asists with developing manual dexterity, The
patience required waiting for seeds to come through helps keep interest
going.
The ability to pick veg which she has grown gives a sense of achievement.
Mind you she does tend to put one seed in each cell till about 3 quarters
full then just sprinkle the rest. She also has a tendency when planted out
to pull up the plants to check they have rooted well., then push them back
in the soil.
As she only comes to us every 2 weeks the plants get very well watered, if
she is not watched she will dart into the greenhouse and and soak peppers,
cucumbers and tomatoes THOROUGHLY at every opportunity.
According to her teacher she tells them when she has been gardening with
me, at school, it has certainly caught her imagination.
Many thanks for help on plant ID's
regards
Cineman

"Sacha" wrote in message