Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommendations for topsoil supplier in/near Bristol?

Space wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
....and I thought the question was unambiguous enough! 4 replies so far
and no information. *sigh*

well i don't live in/near bristol. in fact, nowhere near Bristol. never
even visited bristol.
no, i can't give a personal recommendation.

hopefully that unambiguously answers the question

Gee thanks. What a waste of Usenet that was.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

In the end I went with F A Smith (01761 241378/9) in the Mendips, £335
inc VAT & del for 12 tonnes of 11mm screened.

Would be interested to know what you think of it.

Jennifer
Old 14-08-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

In the end I went with F A Smith (01761 241378/9) in the Mendips, £335
inc VAT & del for 12 tonnes of 11mm screened.

Would be interested to know what you think of it.

Jennifer

Arrived exactly on time (9AM - they said 9-10), dumped it precisely
where I wanted it. Lovely light, loamy soil - shredded & sieved. It's
now all spread out, rolled & grass seeded (fingers crossed).

Cheers,

Phil.

Old 14-08-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

Arrived exactly on time (9AM - they said 9-10), dumped it precisely
where I wanted it. Lovely light, loamy soil - shredded & sieved. It's
now all spread out, rolled & grass seeded (fingers crossed).

Thanks Phil, have made a note of the company for future reference
- sounds good.

Good luck with the grass.

Jennifer - in Bristol
Old 14-08-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

Arrived exactly on time (9AM - they said 9-10), dumped it precisely
where I wanted it. Lovely light, loamy soil - shredded & sieved. It's
now all spread out, rolled & grass seeded (fingers crossed).

Thanks Phil, have made a note of the company for future reference
- sounds good.

Good luck with the grass.

Jennifer - in Bristol

Weather looks ideal for grass growing for a while yet ;-)

Old 14-08-2006, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

Arrived exactly on time (9AM - they said 9-10), dumped it precisely
where I wanted it. Lovely light, loamy soil - shredded & sieved. It's
now all spread out, rolled & grass seeded (fingers crossed).

Thanks Phil, have made a note of the company for future reference
- sounds good.

Good luck with the grass.

Jennifer - in Bristol

Weather looks ideal for grass growing for a while yet ;-)

Have you had some wet then? no rain at all here since May 27th the odd light
showers which have visited Cornwall seem to have missed us completely

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-08-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...

Weather looks ideal for grass growing for a while yet ;-)

Have you had some wet then? no rain at all here since May 27th the odd light
showers which have visited Cornwall seem to have missed us completely

Not in my part of Bristol yet - still hoping, certainly need it.

A week ago Monday I came across some heavy drizzle south of
Bristol when I was taking someone to the airport!

Jennifer
Old 15-08-2006, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

Arrived exactly on time (9AM - they said 9-10), dumped it precisely
where I wanted it. Lovely light, loamy soil - shredded & sieved. It's
now all spread out, rolled & grass seeded (fingers crossed).

Thanks Phil, have made a note of the company for future reference
- sounds good.

Good luck with the grass.

Jennifer - in Bristol

Weather looks ideal for grass growing for a while yet ;-)

Have you had some wet then? no rain at all here since May 27th the odd light
showers which have visited Cornwall seem to have missed us completely

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Some drizzle, and many downpours overnight since May 27th!
More importantly, it's dull at the moment, so the soaking I'm giving it
isn't drying out....

Old 16-08-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:04:54 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message . com
from "Phil" contains these words:

Arrived exactly on time (9AM - they said 9-10), dumped it precisely
where I wanted it. Lovely light, loamy soil - shredded & sieved. It's
now all spread out, rolled & grass seeded (fingers crossed).

Thanks Phil, have made a note of the company for future reference
- sounds good.

Good luck with the grass.

Jennifer - in Bristol

Weather looks ideal for grass growing for a while yet ;-)

Have you had some wet then? no rain at all here since May 27th the odd light
showers which have visited Cornwall seem to have missed us completely

Similar situation south of Bristol, Charlie. 6 spots now and again,
one thunderstorm, but nothing worthwhile for 2 months.
If the forecast is right you will be getting a good wetting in the
next few days. Us too; the Bristol Flower Show may be a wet one!

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-08-2006, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:04:54 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
[...]

Well it's certainly coming down in some style now!

Old 18-08-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam in Bristol

Well it's certainly coming down in some style now!

Replying to my own thread again - just had a close look this morning &
I have tiny green shoots where my lawn will be!!

Phil.

Old 16-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Cheers,

Phil.
hi phil, if your looking for some good quality screened topsoil we may be able to help.
feel free to call in and check the quality of our topsoil @
KINGSWAY BUILDING SUPPLIES
187 TWO MILE HILL KINGSWOOD
we are open 6 days per week 7.30 - 5

12 tonne loose would cost £470 inc vat and delivery
12 dumpy bags would cost £485 inc vat and delivery

we had 22 tonnes delivered into our yard yesterday and its the best load this year (good propper fine topsoil)

hope this is of some use
cheers jeff