Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommendations for topsoil supplier in/near Bristol?

I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Cheers,

Phil.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Cheers,

Phil.

and your location is ............................ ?

Mike
On the Isle of Wight if you are a near neighbour :-))

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My apologies. Didn't see it :-))

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

wrote in message ...
"Mike" writes:

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

and your location is ............................ ?

............Given in the subject line.

Anthony

Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Cheers,

Phil.

Topsoil is really a generic term for anything that looks like muck .
Bagged material is considerably more expensive than bulk lorryloads.
I would ask for screened material which means the rocks, Coke cans, etc etc.
should be absent.
The website at Rowlan explains the different type of topsoils.
http://www.rolawndirect.co.uk/page.p...category&cid=8
(about £500) for your requirements.
I have never used their topsoil but can vouch for the turf quality.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.....and I thought the question was unambiguous enough! 4 replies so far
and no information. *sigh*

Old 09-08-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Cheers,

Phil.

Topsoil is really a generic term for anything that looks like muck .
Bagged material is considerably more expensive than bulk lorryloads.
I would ask for screened material which means the rocks, Coke cans, etc etc.
should be absent.
The website at Rowlan explains the different type of topsoils.
http://www.rolawndirect.co.uk/page.p...category&cid=8
(about £500) for your requirements.
I have never used their topsoil but can vouch for the turf quality.

Thanks (I think) but you've answered a different question.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
....and I thought the question was unambiguous enough! 4 replies so far
and no information. *sigh*

Well I will try :-))

I did a google search entering Topsoil Bristol UK and came up with this ;-))

http://www.dandys.org/news.asp?NID=181

They have an office in Bristol.

Mike
Sorry about my first post, I didn't read the header :-((

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 09-08-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
....and I thought the question was unambiguous enough! 4 replies so far
and no information. *sigh*

OK --Lorryload from Rowlawn Bristol !

Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
....and I thought the question was unambiguous enough! 4 replies so far
and no information. *sigh*

Well I will try :-))

I did a google search entering Topsoil Bristol UK and came up with this ;-))

http://www.dandys.org/news.asp?NID=181

They have an office in Bristol.

Mike
Sorry about my first post, I didn't read the header :-((

LOL, thanks. I had googled - but wanted a personal recommendation - not
something that would help me a lot from you, unless the S'oton/Cowes
ferry is exceptionally cheap for lorry loads of soil....!!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
ps.com...

LOL, thanks. I had googled - but wanted a personal recommendation - not
something that would help me a lot from you, unless the S'oton/Cowes
ferry is exceptionally cheap for lorry loads of soil....!!

Unless you are 'in the know', NONE of the ferries are cheap :-(( Check up to
see what it will cost you to bring a car and a family of four over and see
what I mean :-((

No the price quoted is not the purchase price of the ferry itself ;-)

Back to the topsoil as we must keep urg on topic as I read in another
posting earlier ;-), have you tried telephoning Graden Centres, Nurseries
and Graden Maintenance people for their recommendations?

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

snip

The website at Rowlan explains the different type of topsoils.
http://www.rolawndirect.co.uk/page.p...category&cid=8
(about £500) for your requirements.
I have never used their topsoil but can vouch for the turf quality.

There was a company, IIIRC, on Mendip called Green Ore - not too
far from Wells. I googled for them and came up with the website Rupert
mentions.

In the past I have used their potting composts and they were good. No
idea about topsoil though and not sure if they are still there.

Have you tried asking at local nurseries/garden centres?

Riverside in Bristol - Brackenwood Garden Centre, Abbots Leigh
- Cleeve Nursery and Garden Centre, Cleeve - Burrington Coombe,
which is now White something, are ones that come to mind as being
practical and helpful.

Jennifer - in Bristol
Old 09-08-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the helpful replies - obviously this group wakes up in
the mornings!
I've some telephoning to do....

Cheers,

Phil

Old 09-08-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:55:02 +0100, wrote:

"Mike" writes:

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Do you know Hinton Organics?
http://www.hinton-organics.com/
They produce compost from household compost collections. It looks
good stuff, but is expensive.
They sometimes sell it by the truck-load at Bristol Flower Show - on
next week.
How about this site? Anything there?
http://bristol.ufindus.com/garden_supplies
Try Green-ore.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-08-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil wrote:
I'm looking for 8 cubic metres / 12 tonnes of topsoil to bring up a
level to create a lawned area - bagged or lorryload - any personal
recommendations? Base is sandstone/clay and stony!

Cheers,

Phil.

In the end I went with F A Smith (01761 241378/9) in the Mendips, £335
inc VAT & del for 12 tonnes of 11mm screened.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
....and I thought the question was unambiguous enough! 4 replies so far
and no information. *sigh*

well i don't live in/near bristol. in fact, nowhere near Bristol. never
even visited bristol.
no, i can't give a personal recommendation.

hopefully that unambiguously answers the question