Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can you identify these plants?

Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are
growing in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/fern1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
k...
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are growing
in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/fern1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Pretty certain that tree1.jpg is Metasequoia glyptostroboides.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uzytkownik "Steve" napisal w wiadomosci
k...
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are
growing in the east of Scotland.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

Some kind of maple, perhaps?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

Lonicera nitida, maybe 'Lemon Beauty' (or maybe not)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Looks like a fern, Cyrtomium - not sure of species, check falcatum.

Regards, Barbara.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve
writes
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are growing
in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

It's not an ideal photograph, but I'm fairly sure that it's Sycamore (Acer
psuedoplatanus); IIRC the Scots call the Plane. I'd think you'd want to
get that out before it undermines the wall.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

Might be a Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) but I can't really tell.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

Again I'm not sure, but I think it's Lonicera nitida.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/fern1.jpg

Pass.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Totally agree with Lonicera nitida--(Baggerson's Gold?) and Maple
The tree pic blows up to show a bit more detail. Looks like it has rusty red
branches.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
k...
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are growing
in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

definately lonicera Nitida "baggessens gold" Treat similar to box, keep well
trimmed can be trained and shaped, cut right back any shoots which come up
all green. The leaves go almost white in bright sun, there is a dark green
variety, also a silver edged leaf variety to compliment it. easy to strike
from cuttings. A lovely shrub for full sun/partial shade certainly brightens
up dull corners of the garden.
regards
Cineman

Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
k...
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are growing
in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/fern1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Fern1 looks like a ordinary Lady Fern, but with some interesting bifucations
at the tip of the fronds - such things can be quite sought after.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

It's not an ideal photograph, but I'm fairly sure that it's Sycamore (Acer
psuedoplatanus); IIRC the Scots call the Plane. I'd think you'd want to
get that out before it undermines the wall.

Do sycamores undermine walls?

I have a huge tree about 6' from my house. Should I be worried?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are growing
in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/fern1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

The last one is one of the Holly Ferns, Cyrtomium falcatum or perhaps C.
fortunei, we have the latter coming up in any suitable place here as we have
a large one by our pond, originally bought as a "tropical" house plant but
planted out about 20 years ago as I had nowhere else to put it. Will get cut
back, go brown, in a hard winter but seems to come back OK.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Basia Kulesz" contains these words:

Uzytkownik "Steve" napisal w wiadomosci
k...
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are
growing in the east of Scotland.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

Some kind of maple, perhaps?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

Lonicera nitida, maybe 'Lemon Beauty' (or maybe not)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Looks like a fern, Cyrtomium - not sure of species, check falcatum.

Regards, Barbara.

Yes, it definitely loos like Cyrtomium falcatum - the Holly fern.

Janet G
Old 09-08-2006, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Basia Kulesz" contains these words:

Uzytkownik "Steve" napisal w wiadomosci
k...
Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are
growing in the east of Scotland.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

Some kind of maple, perhaps?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

Lonicera nitida, maybe 'Lemon Beauty' (or maybe not)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Looks like a fern, Cyrtomium - not sure of species, check falcatum.

Regards, Barbara.

Yes, it definitely loos like Cyrtomium falcatum - the Holly fern.

Janet G

Perhaps it's my crap eyesight but it does not seem to resemble Cyrtomium
falcatum (it is green).
No Google images seem to match?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Użytkownik "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" napisał w
wiadomości ...

Perhaps it's my crap eyesight but it does not seem to resemble Cyrtomium
falcatum (it is green).
No Google images seem to match?

Really?
http://images.google.com/images?sour...um&sa=N&tab=wi

Regards, Barbara.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Basia Kulesz" wrote in message

Użytkownik "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" napisał w
wiadomości ...

Perhaps it's my crap eyesight but it does not seem to resemble Cyrtomium
falcatum (it is green).
No Google images seem to match?

Really?
http://images.google.com/images?sour...um&sa=N&tab=wi

Regards, Barbara.

That's what I mean. None of those fit the bill.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
k...

Can anybody help me to put names to these plants please. They are growing
in the east of Scotland.

TIA

Steve

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...volunteer1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/tree1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ellowshrub.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...wann/fern1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...evergreen1.jpg

Pretty certain that tree1.jpg is Metasequoia glyptostroboides.

Yikes! I think you might be right. My book says it can grow to 40m.
It's about 4m at the moment and fits in to my suburban garden very nicely.

I'm not sure what to do now - it's a lovely tree, but maybe I should
take it out now, while I still can.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Basia Kulesz" wrote in message

Użytkownik "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" napisał w
wiadomości ...

Perhaps it's my crap eyesight but it does not seem to resemble Cyrtomium
falcatum (it is green).
No Google images seem to match?

Really?
http://images.google.com/images?sour...um&sa=N&tab=wi

Regards, Barbara.

That's what I mean. None of those fit the bill.

I've had a closer look and I think it is almost identical to the
Cyrtomium falcatum image from www.msrosenthal.com on the above Google
gallery.

maybe I didn't help by calling it evergreen. Come to think of it, it
does die back each year and the image I put up had some of the leaves
starting to change colour - sorry.

Steve
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default You can identify these plants

Thanks to everybody for such quick, knowledgeable and helpful responses.

Much appreciated,

Steve