Old 09-08-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

Default Ragwort

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:37:11 +0100, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article ,
writes
Is this the evidence the local Councils have been looking for to avoid
having to keep their verges clean??

http://www.ragwortfacts.com/ragwort-toxic.html

They're struggling rather, aren't they, if this is the best they can
come up with.

A page headed "Information on Ragwort in the UK from a scientific
perspective" lists a study in the USA, another in France, and an
instance of one horse surviving eating a lot of ragwort in 1973.

What I can't work out from the website is why they are so fond of
ragwort!!

this might explain a bit
Hysterical response
Sir – I read with interest your article on ragwort ( Pretty but deadly –
ragwort threat rising warns Bellamy, August, 23).

It is unfortunately highly inaccurate and will cause much unnecessary worry.
It is sad to note that David Bellamy

He's a prat, not least for supporting the hedgehog slaughter.

has fallen for the pseudo-science that
surrounds this plant.

A simple look at the scientific literature shows that there is little to
worry about from this common native wildflower.

It is always sad to hear of the death of such well loved horses, but the
simple fact is that ragwort poisoning is almost impossible to prove. Other
plants contain the same problem chemicals and other chemicals produce the
same symptoms. One case in the literature was found to be caused by
pollution from an incinerator where ragwort had previously been blamed.

Before the Second World War, there was far more ragwort around than there is
today. There were also many more horses in the country, working on farms or
drawing vehicles. Ragwort poisoning was a recognised disease, but not a
serious problem. Unfortunately in recent years there has been a campaign to
generate hysteria and people are now unnecessarily worried. In reality a
large amount of the plant has to be consumed before any harm is done and
scientific papers from France and the Netherlands support the contention
that ragwort poisoning is not a common problem.

Bellamy contends that ragwort growing on roadsides is a threat. He is
obviously unaware of the published research on the dispersal of the seeds
which shows that the overwhelming majority fall with in a few metres of the
parent plant.

I must also take issue with the idea that ragwort is dangerous to handle.
The research shows that a very large amount of ragwort would need to be
eaten to harm a human being, and that the mild toxins present are not
absorbed well through the skin. There is therefore little danger from
touching it.

It is also incorrect to state that the Ragwort Control Act 2003 requires
occupiers of land to prevent the spread of ragwort. It does no such thing.
It merely institutes a government guide to management of the plant.

Ragwort is an important natural part of our ecosystem. At least 30 insect
species are entirely reliant on it, and about a third of these are scarce or
rare. It is also a critically important nectar source for hundreds of
species of butterflies, bees, moths, and other invertebrates.

This I knew not.

The loss of precious, noble horses is deeply saddening, however it is
important that proper scientific evidence is used in evaluating the threat.

Otherwise much money will be wasted, much environmental damage will be done
and much animal suffering from other causes will go unnoticed.

For more details on the science and the hysteria surrounding this plant
visit http://www.ragwortfacts.com
Neil Jones
Biodiversity Campaigner,
Swansea Friends of the Earth,
The Environment Centre,
Pier Street,
Swansea
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n.../tm_objectid=1
5910970&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=tuesd ay--30-august-2005-name_page.
html

Jim Webster

Keep it up Jim, we'll soon have you caring for the planet.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%

Malcolm Ogilvie of on the suggestion he
copied Konters book.

" You are making yourself look foolish. The book on Grebes by Andre
Konter that was published in 2001 was entitled 'Grebes of OUR World'.
My book, published only this month, is entitled 'Grebes of THE World',
and as such is entirely different. The similarity of the front covers
is quite coincidental. My book IS the first ever devoted to Grebes.

Malcolm Ogilivie."

KONTER (Andre) - Grebes of our World. Visiting all Species on Five
Continents - 2001, 8vo. 187pp. Colour photographs, line drawings. A
description of the 22 species of grebes, their natural history, ecology
and behaviour.

Grebes of the World
Malcolm Ogilvie
The book starts with an authoritative introduction on the origin,
evolution, distribution, physiology and behaviour of grebes, followed by
accounts of each of the 22 species

Malcolm it looks as though Konter might dispute that statement!

Rob

"Yes, indeed, what I said was wrong and I apologise to Andre Konter,

Malcolm Ogilvie"

The error I made was in a chatty piece about the actual writing of the
book which I posted to a non-birdwatching newsgroup

M Ogilvie

You clearly and explicitly stated that yours was the first book on the
subject, in the full knowledge that the topic had recently been
covered very thoroughly in Konter's book.
The facts speak for themselves. You are a liar who only had the grace
to own up when you had been found out - you even persisted in giving
the impression that you were the first to write it *after* I had drawn
attention to your untruth. Your apology comes a little late.
You do yourself no credit in introducing other, wholly irrelevant
matters in order to deflect criticism from your behaviour. Shame on
you.

Paul

Ragwort judith[_2_] United Kingdom 36 13-08-2007 08:44 AM
Ragwort again Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM
RAGWORT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 121 26-08-2003 11:02 PM
RAGWORT moving off topic David Hill United Kingdom 25 25-08-2003 11:42 PM
Hysteria over Ragwort Neil Jones United Kingdom 83 25-08-2003 11:22 AM