Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

Default Ragwort

Have others noticed how much Ragwort there is about this year?

I have noticed loads of it round Leeds and Manchester on the motorway
verges.

I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ragwortflr.JPG

Ragwort
Injurious Weeds and The Weeds Act 1959
Ragwort is one of five injurious weeds covered by the provisions of
The Weeds Act 1959. Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies, donkeys
and other livestock, and causes liver damage, which can have
potentially fatal consequences. Under the Weeds Act 1959, the
Secretary of State may serve an enforcement notice on the occupier of
land on which injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to
take action to prevent the spread of injurious weeds.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/ragwort.htm

Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"judith" wrote in message
Have others noticed how much Ragwort there is about this year?

I have noticed loads of it round Leeds and Manchester on the motorway
verges.

I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ragwortflr.JPG

Ragwort
Injurious Weeds and The Weeds Act 1959
Ragwort is one of five injurious weeds covered by the provisions of
The Weeds Act 1959. Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies, donkeys
and other livestock, and causes liver damage, which can have
potentially fatal consequences. Under the Weeds Act 1959, the
Secretary of State may serve an enforcement notice on the occupier of
land on which injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to
take action to prevent the spread of injurious weeds.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/ragwort.htm

Two of my daughters have had horses, one of them breeding Arabs and they
both said ages ago that some form of enforcement should be brought in, but
where do you find it? On Highways as you said and on Council Land and verges
!!! They kept their lands free, why not others?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

I remove it whenever I find it. It makes a wonderful dye, you can get the
most beautiful greens and yellows. We don't get much around where I live,
due to it being such a great dye plant. It could be cut down dried and then
sold to dyers like me, wouldn't raise a great amount of money but I'm sure
over the years it would mount up.

Jacky

Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

yes indeed I would agree with an enforcement order, we keep our paddock free
from ragwort and other weeds that would harm the ponies but the gits with
the field next door don't do anything at all and get away with it, grrrrrr

kate

Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Surrey

There is an act of parliament called the Ragwort Control Act 2003. You should simply contact DEFRA and they will do the rest. It is a notfiable weed. Land owners are pretty good at controlling it, the Local Authority not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith[_2_] View Post

Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In article ,
judith wrote:
I have noticed loads of it round Leeds and Manchester on the motorway
verges.

I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

This is a job for... Cinnabar Moth caterpillar!

Francis
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"judith" wrote in message
Have others noticed how much Ragwort there is about this year?

I have noticed loads of it round Leeds and Manchester on the motorway
verges.

I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ragwortflr.JPG

Ragwort
Injurious Weeds and The Weeds Act 1959
Ragwort is one of five injurious weeds covered by the provisions of
The Weeds Act 1959. Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies, donkeys
and other livestock, and causes liver damage, which can have
potentially fatal consequences. Under the Weeds Act 1959, the
Secretary of State may serve an enforcement notice on the occupier of
land on which injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to
take action to prevent the spread of injurious weeds.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/ragwort.htm

http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

and taken from same web site

Ragwort and the Law The Weeds Act 1959

Ragwort is mentioned in the Weeds Act 1959. This is what the Act says

"(1) Where the minister of Agriculture fish and food (in this act refered to
as ' the Minister') is satisfied that there are injurious weeds to which
this act applies growing upon any land he may serve upon the occupier of the
land a notice, to take such action as may be necessary to prevent the weeds
from spreading (2)This act applies to the following injurious weeds, that is
to say-

spear thistle

creeping or field thistle

broad leaved dock

ragwort"

It is a piece of legislation that provides for AN ORDER to be made. There is
nothing that says that you automatically MUST eliminate this plant from
land. It is similar to legislation which can produce orders for children to
be curfewed. It is not automatic but only happens where there is problem.

It is commonly claimed that this legislation forces landowners to control
ragwort or that it places an obligation on them to do so. as can clearly be
seen from the actual contents and text of the act this is not the case. It
is not unknown for even such august bodies as local councils to get this
matter wrong. This is the text of the act and this is what it says. The rest
of this rather short act of parliament is about procedure and powers but has
no bearing on the obligations and requirements placed on landowners in any
way. What is perhaps significant is the apparent almost complete absence of
this actual text from legions of commercial ragwort control websites that
have sprung up over the last few years. It is perhaps not in their financial
interests to let their customers know the truth about the legal situation as
it applies in the UK.

The Weeds Act 1959 has been subsequently amended by the Ragwort Control Act
2003. but this has no real effect on the information given on this page.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:35:07 GMT, "aeshna"
wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Did anyone say that you must? I certainly did not.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make over and above the OP.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On 10 Aug, 17:34, judith wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:35:07 GMT, "aeshna"

wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If you read the original poster message again. You will see the piece
was copied verbatim from the website.
It is there in response to a common myth that you must control Ragwort
by law,.

You have also, in effect, stated another common myth that it poses a
serious risk on road sides.

It doesn't. Read the web links and you'll find references to the
scientific literature that shows it does not.

http://www.ragwortfacts.com
and
http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/

The hysteria has spread to Holland too.

Neil Jones

http://www.butterflyguy.com/

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"judith" wrote in message

Did anyone say that you must? I certainly did not.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make over and above the OP.

Calm down dear, did I say you did? ;-)

The point being some facts.

Take it or leave it!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In article om,
" writes:

| The hysteria has spread to Holland too.

Yes, some people get positively horseterical. They use to have the
same reaction to yew, which is more poisonous but little or no more
dangerous, even to horses.

I notice one common myth perpetrated by http://www.ragwortfacts.com,
though:

It is OK to uproot ragwort where ever you see it

FALSE. It is illegal to uproot any wild plant if you are not
authorised by the owner or occupier of the land on which it grows
See Ragwort is sometimes protected.

It is not. Only plants in Schedule 8 are, and only Fen Ragwort is
included there.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:57:57 +0100, judith wrote:

Have others noticed how much Ragwort there is about this year?

I have noticed loads of it round Leeds and Manchester on the motorway
verges.

I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ragwortflr.JPG

Ragwort
Injurious Weeds and The Weeds Act 1959
Ragwort is one of five injurious weeds covered by the provisions of
The Weeds Act 1959. Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies, donkeys
and other livestock, and causes liver damage, which can have
potentially fatal consequences. Under the Weeds Act 1959, the
Secretary of State may serve an enforcement notice on the occupier of
land on which injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to
take action to prevent the spread of injurious weeds.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/ragwort.htm

Horses, ponies, donkeys and other livestock shouldn't be on motorway
verges. If they are then they and their owners deserve to die.

So FFS get those animals off the motorway verges and into the fields
where they belong.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In message , Mike
writes
Horses, ponies, donkeys and other livestock shouldn't be on motorway
verges. If they are then they and their owners deserve to die.

So FFS get those animals off the motorway verges and into the fields
where they belong.

If any one knows the Black Cat roundabout on the A1 then take a
look about 1/2 mile north on the left/ There is a field absolutely full
of ragwort, it also has 3 horses grazing in it. Totally crazy. Maybe
worth an email and photo to Defra.
--
Bill
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Mike
writes
Horses, ponies, donkeys and other livestock shouldn't be on motorway
verges. If they are then they and their owners deserve to die.

So FFS get those animals off the motorway verges and into the fields
where they belong.

If any one knows the Black Cat roundabout on the A1 then take a
look about 1/2 mile north on the left/ There is a field absolutely full
of ragwort, it also has 3 horses grazing in it. Totally crazy. Maybe
worth an email and photo to Defra.
--
Bill

Its ok so long as ragwort is growing as horses avoid it, the problems occur
when a field is made into hay as once dried they seem not to notice it. but
I would have thought it irresponsible to make hay from a field containing
ragwort (its not exactly difficult to spot) and its a lost cause down here
with so much mine waste land as well as the verges so it is just a waste of
time and money to remove it and the years when they used to try were just as
colourful as now when they don't!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
Its ok so long as ragwort is growing as horses avoid it, the problems occur
when a field is made into hay as once dried they seem not to notice it. but
I would have thought it irresponsible to make hay from a field containing
ragwort (its not exactly difficult to spot) and its a lost cause down here
with so much mine waste land as well as the verges so it is just a waste of
time and money to remove it and the years when they used to try were just as
colourful as now when they don't!

Horses do indeed avoid eating live ragwort because the alkaloids
make it bitter, but they may start to eat small quantities if the
rest of the grazing is poor. They may even pick at it when there
is grass available - I have seen that happen. So horses shouldn't
be in fields containing ragwort (or vice versa), otherwise they
could become poisoned.

As you say, horses will eat hay containing dried ragwort. In all
the bales I've seen containing ragwort, it wasn't very obvious
because the dried weed was all green, probably because they were
all flowerless 1st year plants at the time of hay cutting.

Francis

Ragwort ©¿© United Kingdom 0 09-08-2006 11:50 AM
Ragwort again Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM
RAGWORT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 121 26-08-2003 11:02 PM
RAGWORT moving off topic David Hill United Kingdom 25 25-08-2003 11:42 PM
Hysteria over Ragwort Neil Jones United Kingdom 83 25-08-2003 11:22 AM