Old 15-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed Dragon

While we were on our daughter's farm last week we cleared her erstwhile
vegetable garden of perennial weed top growth by cutting by brush cutter and
secateurs.

There were nettles, dock, thistles, brambles, grass etc. - the usual
culprits.

Because of a miscarriage, bad pregnancy, a new baby, father's depression,
hospitalisation due to abdominal abscess and cancer and subsequent treatment
(a sorry story but it needs to be explained so that no-one criticises for
neglect) the plot has been unattended for two years. Before then it was very
productive and grew the best vegetables I've ever tasted - especially
parsnips.

We want to encourage a renewal of the cultivation so would like to provide
daughter with whatever means possible to rid the plot of the weeds and we
thought about the Weed Dragon. I realise that it would have to be used
several times to rid the new growth from the roots but if it isn't suitable
I'd like to know what other solutions people here can suggest.

I must add that this plot is on an organic farm, chemical control is not an
option. A cultivator would seem to us to be inefficient because it would
spread roots. but we're willing to be advised.

Mary

Old 15-08-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I had to Google to find out that the Weed dragon is a propane powered weed
wand type thing.
My own limited experience of these things is that they burn off the top
growth and leave the root to resprout. On the plus side they do kill off
seed.
I believe the big wheeled devices that run off paraffin are a lot more
effective and are available to hire.
I think it is Janet Baraclough who rides around on one of these things and
thoroughly recommends the flame thrower approach.

Old 16-08-2006, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

[...]

I rather hoped for *personal* experience of the machine, which is why I
didn't need to specify what it was.

My own limited experience of these things is that they burn off the top
growth and leave the root to resprout.

I did say:

Old 16-08-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

OK the Weed Dragon is no more special than any other hand held device so I
assumed my limited experience may have been of some help.
The big machines do a better job but as you say you will need several
passes to achieve what you want.
I think there are several cheaper wand type things-so you could give the
small hand held device a go.

Old 16-08-2006, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Herewith a few folk who have used the weed dragon *personally*
http://www.countrysmallholding.com/c...5691&GroupID=1

Old 16-08-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Herewith a few folk who have used the weed dragon *personally*
http://www.countrysmallholding.com/c...5691&GroupID=1

sigh

I asked on uk.rec.gardening.

I am a subscriber to CS, have been for a long time, and know of those two
(not 'a few') comments (which incidentally are more than two years old so
could be out of date). I also know of other CS subscribers who have used the
Weed Dragon happily and successfully.

Look, all I want to know - of *urglers* - is whether they have used the Weed
Dragon. That's a simple enough request, I'd have thought.

I don't want others to bother to search for me, I'm capable of finding
hearsay myself.

Old 16-08-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Herewith a few folk who have used the weed dragon *personally*

http://www.countrysmallholding.com/c...5691&GroupID=1

sigh

I asked on uk.rec.gardening.

I am a subscriber to CS, have been for a long time, and know of those two
(not 'a few') comments (which incidentally are more than two years old so
could be out of date). I also know of other CS subscribers who have used

the
Weed Dragon happily and successfully.

Look, all I want to know - of *urglers* - is whether they have used the

Weed
Dragon. That's a simple enough request, I'd have thought.

I don't want others to bother to search for me, I'm capable of finding
hearsay myself.

Oh dear Mary :-((

Don't critise urg, you will get the wrath of the owners and the net nannies
:-((

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Herewith a few folk who have used the weed dragon *personally*
http://www.countrysmallholding.com/c...5691&GroupID=1

sigh

I asked on uk.rec.gardening.

I am a subscriber to CS, have been for a long time, and know of those two
(not 'a few') comments (which incidentally are more than two years old so
could be out of date). I also know of other CS subscribers who have used
the Weed Dragon happily and successfully.

Look, all I want to know - of *urglers* - is whether they have used the
Weed Dragon. That's a simple enough request, I'd have thought.

I don't want others to bother to search for me, I'm capable of finding
hearsay myself.

Ah -I remember now-mine is a Weed Dragon model 01GTX and it's crap:-)
It's not really very eco friendly is it?
Sterilised soil and fried bugs -not to mention your additional contribution
to global warming.
What's wrong with the eco method of digging or getting someone to dig?

Old 16-08-2006, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

snip snide stuff

What's wrong with the eco method of digging or getting someone to dig?

You don't read messages, do you!

You are Dave Fawthrop and I clain my £5.

Old 16-08-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Ah -I remember now-mine is a Weed Dragon model 01GTX and it's crap:-)
It's not really very eco friendly is it?
Sterilised soil and fried bugs -not to mention your additional
contribution to global warming.
What's wrong with the eco method of digging or getting someone to dig?

You don't read messages, do you!

snip

Read and understood but if you can't or won't dig what is wrong with getting
someone else to dig for you.
Surely the plot will have to be dug eventually to ensure good parsnips?

Old 19-08-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

Herewith a few folk who have used the weed dragon *personally*
http://www.countrysmallholding.com/c...5691&GroupID=1

sigh

I asked on uk.rec.gardening.

I am a subscriber to CS, have been for a long time, and know of those two
(not 'a few') comments (which incidentally are more than two years old so
could be out of date). I also know of other CS subscribers who have used
the Weed Dragon happily and successfully.

Look, all I want to know - of *urglers* - is whether they have used the
Weed Dragon. That's a simple enough request, I'd have thought.

I haven't used the Weed Dragon, but I have used a butane powered blowgun, it
was very successful at killing off the tops of the weeds, but it had
absolutely no effect on the roots, I had hoped it would, and I kept the heat
on the weeds for some time, hoping that the heat would kill off the root,
but it did not, I don't think it is worth the trouble or expense.

Alan

Old 20-08-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX VX is offline

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:57:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in message ):

We want to encourage a renewal of the cultivation so would like to provide
daughter with whatever means possible to rid the plot of the weeds and we
thought about the Weed Dragon. I realise that it would have to be used
several times to rid the new growth from the roots but if it isn't suitable
I'd like to know what other solutions people here can suggest.

I must add that this plot is on an organic farm, chemical control is not an
option. A cultivator would seem to us to be inefficient because it would
spread roots. but we're willing to be advised.

Mary

Have you considered covering the area with heavy black plastic to keep
daylight off the weeds for some considerable time, untl they die from lack of
photosynthesis etc? I'd assume it's not exactly quick but it involves no
toxic chemicals, no burning of any size of animal life, and would raise
(presumably) relatively few ecological concerns.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 21-08-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I'm back from the past and just read this. The garden has been covered with
very heavy black plastic. The weeds have grown through it over the time it
has been neglected.

Thanks anyway.

We're going to give a try with the flame thrower, well aware that it will
have to be repeated, possibly several times. The roots will certainly die if
top growth is not allowed to develop.

Mary

Old 22-08-2006, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]
We're going to give a try with the flame thrower, well aware that it will
have to be repeated, possibly several times. The roots will certainly die if
top growth is not allowed to develop.

and also:
if it isn't suitable
I'd like to know what other solutions people here can suggest.

and also:
sigh

From what this thread suggests about your temper, remind the nearest

and dearest not to be around during your experiments! (My own n. and d.
didn't enjoy being within half a mile of me when I tried a paraffin
one.) Good luck, anyhow.

--
Mike.

Old 22-08-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
[...]

Hi Mary. I am so sorry I missed this and have only just noticed it. I
bought one about two years ago (possibly three - time flies). It is
rubbish. I hate it. It burns the tops of the weeds off and that is it.
Roots remain. It also tends to singe anything adjacent to the plants
you are trying to destroy, although by the sound of it, you want to do
the whole lot. Also - as I am a wimp - I found it a bit scary.

I can't think of anything a lightly built person could do except dig,
which is hard going. A rotovator would just turn the weeds back in and
they would pop up again. I suppose the best thing to do would be to get
a labourer in to dig it over but that would probably be rather
expensive. Other than that, recruit some younger members of the family
to have a 'dig-in' with food thrown in. That might do the trick.
--
June Hughes

Problems with Dracaena marginata (dragon Tree) mbelcher68 Gardening 0 15-10-2005 05:41 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
Dragon Flies bobkiely Ponds 5 11-07-2003 11:40 PM
Dragon's Gate? Quaggy United Kingdom 0 03-07-2003 10:38 PM
Begonia Dragon Wing Wishy13764 Gardening 2 10-05-2003 08:20 PM