Old 16-08-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seep hose for water butts?

Is there a seep hose available that will work with water butts - i.e. low
pressure?

I have three full barrels and it would be useful to let this go into my
polytunnel ahead of rain.

Old 16-08-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message
Is there a seep hose available that will work with water butts - i.e. low
pressure?

I have three full barrels and it would be useful to let this go into my
polytunnel ahead of rain.

Most of the stuff now sold as soaker hose/leaky pipe/porous pipe etc is
suitable for use with water barrels.
This site has a range which it says are best used with water butts.
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...eaky_Pipe.html

I prefer to use 13mm (1/2inch") stuff and control the volume by use of an
inline tap.

Old 16-08-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

many thanks Rupert

Old 17-08-2006, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Is there a seep hose available that will work with water butts - i.e.
low pressure?

I have three full barrels and it would be useful to let this go into
my polytunnel ahead of rain.

The small bore hose that you get for those automatic irrigation systems
works with water butts pressure, it also comes with sprinkly attachments
which you can place at intervals. You could even use the timer that comes
with the starter pack, the head of water on a butt at (say) three feet is
more than enough.

And it's cheap at the moment, because the southerners aren't allowed to use
it due to the hosepipe ban :-)

Old 18-08-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can you recommend one? I can't imagine sprinklers standing up when attached
to a hose without falling over on their side.

Old 19-08-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Apparently a 180 litre water butt will keep a gravity-fed dripper
system running for up to two months without rain.

I would imagine this depends on the length of hose or area. Can you give us
an idea please as we have 8 water butts and could use the system in various
places in the gardens.

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 19-08-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo

, I, Marvo, say :

Is there a seep hose available that will work with water butts - i.e.
low pressure?

I have three full barrels and it would be useful to let this go into
my polytunnel ahead of rain.

The small bore hose that you get for those automatic irrigation systems
works with water butts pressure, it also comes with sprinkly attachments
which you can place at intervals. You could even use the timer that comes
with the starter pack, the head of water on a butt at (say) three feet is
more than enough.

And it's cheap at the moment, because the southerners aren't allowed to use
it due to the hosepipe ban :-)

I think you'll find that timers need close to mains pressure in order
to function.
Old 19-08-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Trevor
wrote:

Can you recommend one? I can't imagine sprinklers standing up when attached
to a hose without falling over on their side.

I think the reference is to micro spinklers which are offered in micro
irrigation ranges. These are fixed in the ground using small plastic
stakes. However, I'm fairly sure that they won't work without more
pressure.

Some new water butt irrigation devices have just been announced at
http://www.gardenforum.co.uk/mips/gf...ade/detail.asp - including a
submersible pump which can drive a full-size rotating sprinkler..
However, the porous hose and dripper kits work on gravity pressure
alone.

Old 20-08-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try the Hozelock Helpline -- 08708 501959. The specific claim applies
to their new water butt drip watering kit which comes with 10m of
feeder hose and 15 drippers. But if you wanted to extend a gravity fed
system you will be limited in length by the water pressure. You can
increase the pressure by raising your butts ever higher but there will
still come a point when the water can't reach the end of the hose - in
which case you should look at using a submersible pump in the butt.

Thanks Stan. Have now got an idea of where to go and what to do :-))

Looks like 3 systems off 3 sets of water butts :-((

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 23-08-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think you'll find that timers need close to mains pressure in order
to function.

Nope. I have a Hozelock timer which works fine with butts and micro-soaker.