Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butts and Water Meters

A remark by someone saying that they were on a water meter and that their
beans were not doing too well made me think. How many of you are on water
meters and DON'T have water butts?

Rain water is FREE.

Forward planning?

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:49:11 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

A remark by someone saying that they were on a water meter and that their
beans were not doing too well made me think. How many of you are on water
meters and DON'T have water butts?

Rain water is FREE.

Forward planning?

I'm on a meter, and I don't have a water butt.
The problem is, I'm mid-terrace and have no downpipe. Even if I had
one added, I've no soak-away for excess winter water.
Any ideas folks?

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Could' you, I mean is it possible physically, to cut into the gutter and
fit a downpipe AND is there a drain nearby? If so you could fit one of those
gismos which diverts water into the waterbut, but when it is full, water
automatically diverts back to the drain.

'IF' you have a gutter and 'IF' you have a drain

Mike

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I'm on a meter, and I don't have a water butt.
The problem is, I'm mid-terrace and have no downpipe. Even if I had
one added, I've no soak-away for excess winter water.
Any ideas folks?

Pam in Bristol

Tap in the downpipe perhaps.

Pete

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Sep, 19:49, "'Mike'" wrote:
A remark by someone saying that they were on a water meter and that their
beans were not doing too well made me think. How many of you are on water
meters and DON'T have water butts?

Rain water is FREE.

Forward planning?

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

I have an underground concrete storage tank. Collect water off the
driveway.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:27:05 +0100, Mike wrote:

'IF' you have a gutter and 'IF' you have a drain

And it's legal to put surface water into that drain... Mind you if
it's round the back I doubt anyone would find out. B-)

Has one of the OP's neighbours got a down pipe near the boundary?
Maybe a divertor could be fitted into that fed to butts each side?
One for the neigbour so they get some benfit from the having the
divertor, butts linked at the top so you can't use "their" water and
yours fills after theirs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
harry writes
On 2 Sep, 19:49, "'Mike'" wrote:
A remark by someone saying that they were on a water meter and that their
beans were not doing too well made me think. How many of you are on water
meters and DON'T have water butts?

Rain water is FREE.

Forward planning?

I have an underground concrete storage tank. Collect water off the
driveway.

I have had a water butt for a number of years, I also have a water meter
for the last two years, it halved my bill.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:27:05 +0100, Mike wrote:

'IF' you have a gutter and 'IF' you have a drain

And it's legal to put surface water into that drain...

It's a very interesting and informative argument as to who 'owns' rainwater.
Once it is on the ground it is the person who owns that bit of ground, such
as your garden, your rain. However that falling on the highway, whether
direct or via your drive, it belongs to those who maintain or own the
highway, such as the local council. BUT, if the highway authority feel that
there is too much water and want to put a drain in, they must seek
permission from the water authority who services the waste water as it is
their responsibility once it is in the drain and they have the right to say
'no more drains thankyou'.

Therefore, as Dave says, if there is a drain, it is perfectly legal to put
that surface water down the drain. But don't ask for one if there isn't one
there because there is no guarantee you will get it.

Been there, done that, got the wet tee shirt.

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Sep, 16:18, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

Rain water is owned by you until it leaves your property when it
becomes the property of the local water supply company.. Any other
water, springs streams etc is also owned by them. You need to buy a
licence to remove water fro a spring or stream. Supposing they find
out. You need a different licence to dam a stream.

There was a case a few years back when the water companies claimed
that rain was their's. Someone sued them for damages because their
rain came in his roof. Norfolk somewhere I think it was. They
canceded rain after that.
Now we need someone to sue them whem the river comes into their
house:-)

Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Rain water is owned by you until it leaves your property when it
becomes the property of the local water supply company.
Does that mean I can ask my water supply company to come and remove their water which has run off on to my garden from the car park next door?
__________________
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
A remark by someone saying that they were on a water meter and that their
beans were not doing too well made me think. How many of you are on water
meters and DON'T have water butts?

Rain water is FREE.

Forward planning?

I'm on a meter, and I don't have a water butt.
The problem is, I'm mid-terrace and have no downpipe. *Even if I had
one added, I've no soak-away for excess winter water. *
Any ideas folks?

Pam in Bristol

Whilst I do have water butts, they don't store enough for a prolonged
dry spell. I augment them by keeping a bucket under the kitchen tap to
collect everything from rinsing hands to straining vegetables. It's
surprising how quickly it fills, especially once the crops ripen and
need washing. In a really dry spell the washing-up water goes onto the
garden too.

Whilst I do have a soakaway near the butt, I have toyed with the idea
of directing the overflow around the garden in leaky hoses. Has anyone
tried this? Do the ones that look like porous rubber leak fast enough
for a downpour, or would it be better to drill decent-sized holes in a
real hose?

Chris
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-04 01:26:27 +0100, said:

(snip)

Whilst I do have a soakaway near the butt, I have toyed with the idea
of directing the overflow around the garden in leaky hoses. Has anyone
tried this? Do the ones that look like porous rubber leak fast enough
for a downpour, or would it be better to drill decent-sized holes in a
real hose?

A porous hose should keep up with the flow. Gravity feed won't deliver
the water uphill though so it may be a good idea to raise the butt as
high as possible, eg on bricks.

Hozelock make a porous hose kit for use with water butts:
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/aut...-kit-2817.html

Piercing

a normal hose will likely be sub-optimal as it requires more than
gravity pressure to send the water down its full length and there would
anyway be a tendency for the early holes to eject more water than the
later holes.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Whilst I do have water butts, they don't store enough for a prolonged
dry spell. I augment them by keeping a bucket under the kitchen tap to
collect everything from rinsing hands to straining vegetables. It's
surprising how quickly it fills, especially once the crops ripen and
need washing. In a really dry spell the washing-up water goes onto the
garden too.

Whilst I do have a soakaway near the butt, I have toyed with the idea
of directing the overflow around the garden in leaky hoses. Has anyone
tried this? Do the ones that look like porous rubber leak fast enough
for a downpour, or would it be better to drill decent-sized holes in a
real hose?

One snag with that idea is that you would only get your leaky hose operating
when the ground is also being watered by the rain !

Better to devise a leaky hose system for when it was not raining and much
easier done as well

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-03 18:44:39 +0100, harry said:

(snip)

Rain water is owned by you until it leaves your property when it
becomes the property of the local water supply company.. Any other
water, springs streams etc is also owned by them. You need to buy a
licence to remove water fro a spring or stream. Supposing they find
out. You need a different licence to dam a stream.

There was a case a few years back when the water companies claimed
that rain was their's. Someone sued them for damages because their
rain came in his roof. Norfolk somewhere I think it was. They
canceded rain after that.
Now we need someone to sue them whem the river comes into their
house:-)

I was shocked to discover during the drought of 2006 that no water
company or local authority makes any attempt to recycle run-off water
from roofs, roads, etc. It flows into the drains and out to sea.

An extraordinary waste of a valuable resource during drought periods --
and such hypocrisy.