Old 29-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Honey Fungus

Hi,

Please can you provide me with information on the honey fungus?

Kind Regards

Mr. Smith

Old 29-08-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sterile the effected area, remove the honey fungus from your garden,
don't compost it take it off site. Then pray, honey fungus usually
attacks mainly damage trees, fruit trees and ornematal fruit trees and
any of the malus family (by the roots).
hope this helps.

Old 29-08-2006, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Danielle wrote
Please can you provide me with information on the honey fungus?

Yes, these people can......

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ney_fungus.asp

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/dc19.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_fungus

http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/armnov01.htm

There are others, and a Google Search will get you them.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 30-08-2006, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peat-Lomas" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sterile the effected area, remove the honey fungus from your garden,
don't compost it take it off site. Then pray, honey fungus usually
attacks mainly damage trees, fruit trees and ornematal fruit trees and
any of the malus family (by the roots).
hope this helps.

That's always said but it hasn't been our experience so perhaps it isn't
always as virulent or damaging as its reputation.

We had some growing at the base of a shed by the stump of a Russian Vine. We
didn't know what it was until (we were told) it was too late. We'd watched
the quite large clump from the first stages through maturity and eventually
falling over, dark brown and slimy, then it simply disappeared.

This was four years ago, we've seen no evidence since and there are malus,
prunus, medlar and other trees in our garden and neighbours' which are
flourishing as ever.

It wasn't an error in identification, because we like to eat fungi which
appear in our garden we identify those we don't recognise. I sent
photographs of the fungus in its prime to an environmentalist and after her
positive id (she also said some folk eat it but we didn't have chance) we
found it in books and websites, there was no doubt.

Of course we were nervous that it might be spreading but there was no way we
could uproot the shed or dig the garden up at that time so we just had to be
vigilant in watching for new growth in subsequent years. There haven't been
any.

That doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't be careful of course, it's just our
experience.

Mary

Old 30-08-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/06 10:10, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Peat-Lomas" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sterile the effected area, remove the honey fungus from your garden,
don't compost it take it off site. Then pray, honey fungus usually
attacks mainly damage trees, fruit trees and ornematal fruit trees and
any of the malus family (by the roots).
hope this helps.

That's always said but it hasn't been our experience so perhaps it isn't
always as virulent or damaging as its reputation.

One of the easiest ways to identify it is by the black 'bootlaces' that
spread under the grass and towards other trees. One of the plants most
susceptible to honey fungus is lilac and it's true that it tends to attack
damaged trees or shrubs. That said, honey fungus is spread over an enormous
area without most of us us even being aware of its presence most of the
time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

One of the easiest ways to identify it is by the black 'bootlaces' that
spread under the grass and towards other trees.

That was another symptom we confirmed.

One of the plants most
susceptible to honey fungus is lilac and it's true that it tends to attack
damaged trees or shrubs. That said, honey fungus is spread over an
enormous
area without most of us us even being aware of its presence most of the
time.

Yes, that seems to be the current received wisdom.

Mary

Old 30-08-2006, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Danielle wrote
Please can you provide me with information on the honey fungus?

Yes, these people can......

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ney_fungus.asp

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/dc19.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_fungus

http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/armnov01.htm

There are others, and a Google Search will get you them.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Read about it check on sensitive species etc. Do not plant these where you
have taken out infected plants but don't be too worried about it. It does
not travel if ground is cultivated, but take care not to damage roots of
sensitive species. Honey fungus is all over the place and has destroyed
mono cultures growing out of their natural range (larch in Scotland) and
this may given it its reputation.

We have lost forsythia and a hydrangea to honey fungus. We took out a white
willow which was affected and have a pinus nigra which survives but shows a
line of fruiting bodies along one of the roots.
Other trees in the garden are thriving.
The forsythia was killed quite suddenly, but it and the hydragea had been
under stress for a number of years. The willow had ailed for a number of
years but it had been planted on a dry bank-a rather unsuitable position.
Regards
David T