Old 30-08-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hosepipe ban on for a year!!!

Http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a.../Hosepipe%20ba
n%20to%20stay%20for%20a%20year/article.do

How can the provision (of water be all about money?
Depressing....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 30-08-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message

Http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a.../Hosepipe%20ba
n%20to%20stay%20for%20a%20year/article.do

How can the provision (of water be all about money?
Depressing....

Because it's a german company, and they don't give a shit for anyone!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 30-08-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I particularly like the last bit

"The German-owned company is also the country's MOST WASTEFUL water
firm, haemorrhaging 196million gallons of water every day - the
equivalent of 350 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Last month regulator Ofwat came under fire for REFUSING TO FINE Thames
Water for its failure to meet leakage targets in the capital for the
seventh year in succession.

Instead, the company was ordered to invest an extra £150million by
2010 to replace nearly 230 miles of old water pipes in London."

Why don't they FINE and ORDER to invest???

Old 30-08-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ups.com...
I particularly like the last bit

"The German-owned company is also the country's MOST WASTEFUL water
firm, haemorrhaging 196million gallons of water every day - the
equivalent of 350 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Last month regulator Ofwat came under fire for REFUSING TO FINE Thames
Water for its failure to meet leakage targets in the capital for the
seventh year in succession.

Instead, the company was ordered to invest an extra £150million by
2010 to replace nearly 230 miles of old water pipes in London."

Why don't they FINE and ORDER to invest???

and where would the money come from?

The Board of Directors?

In the words of a once famous net nanny who doesn't seem to post here very
much now, "I think not"

The public would just pay more.

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 30-08-2006, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

More important is to make companies aware of the huge problem they are
creating by not fixing the pipes, I am not worried with their money,
they can go bankrupt and another will come and replace them... On top
of that they have insurances... I am worried that we are all paying
their lack of professionalism and efficiency.

If you do not make them suffer, they will not care with leakage targets
and it is just cheaper for them to keep on going untill the regulator
forces them to fix. by that time they saved at least the interest on
the investment that later they will be forced to do.... that can be a
stupid amount of money and could be the value of the fine... The point
is that they are increasig their profits by delaying fixing the
problems in at least the interest rate....

Otherwise, just forget all regulations and let trains crash, water to
dissapear in the soil... ... it is cheaper.... or maybe not

Old 30-08-2006, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
oups.com...
More important is to make companies aware of the huge problem they are
creating by not fixing the pipes, I am not worried with their money,
they can go bankrupt and another will come and replace them... On top
of that they have insurances... I am worried that we are all paying
their lack of professionalism and efficiency.

Not all of us, we're very happy with our water suply.

If you do not make them suffer, they will not care with leakage targets
and it is just cheaper for them to keep on going untill the regulator
forces them to fix. by that time they saved at least the interest on
the investment that later they will be forced to do.... that can be a
stupid amount of money and could be the value of the fine... The point
is that they are increasig their profits by delaying fixing the
problems in at least the interest rate....

Why don't you take over the company if you think you could do a better job?

Mary

Old 30-08-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Klara writes:

| Http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a.../Hosepipe%20ba
| n%20to%20stay%20for%20a%20year/article.do
|
| How can the provision (of water be all about money?
| Depressing....

If you have access to academic references, look up hydraulic empires :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
oups.com...
More important is to make companies aware of the huge problem they are
creating by not fixing the pipes, I am not worried with their money,
they can go bankrupt and another will come and replace them... On top
of that they have insurances... I am worried that we are all paying
their lack of professionalism and efficiency.

Not all of us, we're very happy with our water suply.

Lucky you!

If you do not make them suffer, they will not care with leakage targets
and it is just cheaper for them to keep on going untill the regulator
forces them to fix. by that time they saved at least the interest on
the investment that later they will be forced to do.... that can be a
stupid amount of money and could be the value of the fine... The point
is that they are increasig their profits by delaying fixing the
problems in at least the interest rate....

Why don't you take over the company if you think you could do a better
job?

They could do a better job but they are only interested in how much they can
rob us of!

Alan

Mary

Old 30-08-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:21:59 +0100, Klara
wrote:

Http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a.../Hosepipe%20ba
n%20to%20stay%20for%20a%20year/article.do

How can the provision (of water be all about money?
Depressing....

What puzzles me is that they pump water out of the ground from the
aquifers. It leaks from pipes in the ground, presumably going back to
the aquifers where it came from, and a huge fuss is made about it.
Whilest recirculating all that water might be a waste of money that
water-rate-payers could justifiably complain about, it's not obviously
a waste of water.

--
Chris

Old 31-08-2006, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a.../Hosepipe%20ba
n%20to%20stay%20for%20a%20year/article.do

How can the provision (of water be all about money?
Depressing....

What puzzles me is that they pump water out of the ground from the
aquifers. It leaks from pipes in the ground, presumably going back to
the aquifers where it came from, and a huge fuss is made about it.
Whilest recirculating all that water might be a waste of money that
water-rate-payers could justifiably complain about, it's not obviously
a waste of water.

Much of it doesn't get back to the aquifers. In the same way that heavy
rain between April and September doesn't replenish the aquifers because
of evaporation, transpiration, tree and plant take-up, etc.

Nor is there necessarily a usuable aquifer below a leak. In Greater
London, 90 percent of the water supply is taken from the rivers (Thames
and Lee - see http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/template.cfm?name=BA6 ) and not
from underground resources.

Old 31-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEyes
I particularly like the last bit

"The German-owned company is also the country's MOST WASTEFUL water
firm, haemorrhaging 196million gallons of water every day - the
equivalent of 350 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Last month regulator Ofwat came under fire for REFUSING TO FINE Thames
Water for its failure to meet leakage targets in the capital for the
seventh year in succession.

Instead, the company was ordered to invest an extra £150million by
2010 to replace nearly 230 miles of old water pipes in London."

Why don't they FINE and ORDER to invest???
If someone insists you spend an additional £150m fixing pipes, and allows you nothing for that, then that sounds like a very stringent financial penalty to me, a lot worse than being fined £60m which was about the maximum they could have been fined. This means that the financial penalty is applied to the benefit of customers, rather than vanishing into the Treasury. I think it is a very good idea, and certainly not a soft option.

Hosepipe ban oversimplified on TV? VX United Kingdom 11 10-05-2006 01:15 PM
Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 59 08-05-2006 09:52 AM
Beat the hosepipe ban! dyofix Marketplace 2 02-05-2006 01:32 PM
Hosepipe ban and RHS United Kingdom 8 31-03-2006 02:43 AM
Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 09:31 PM