Old 02-09-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee like creature on Lavender/Teucrium

Hi, I work on an estate with a Lavender /Teucrium and Box feature and
have noticed a Bee like
insect especially on the Teucrium plants .
I can only describe it as a small Humming Bird a bit bigger than a Bee
, you can hardly see the wings as it flaps so quickly. Any clues much
appreciated . Mike ( Peterborough )

Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I work on an estate with a Lavender /Teucrium and Box feature and
have noticed a Bee like
insect especially on the Teucrium plants .
I can only describe it as a small Humming Bird a bit bigger than a Bee
, you can hardly see the wings as it flaps so quickly. Any clues much
appreciated . Mike ( Peterborough )

How about the Humming-bird Hawk Moth -
http://www.uksafari.com/hummingbird.htm?

Brian

brianb (at) dsl (dot) pipex (dot) com

Absolutely "spot on" Brian, I followed the link, and there it was.
Another mystery solved !