Old 19-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Doreen Taylor

Default Strange creature, friend or foe?

Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow and black
rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any ideas folks?

Old 19-07-2003, 11:05 PM
bnd777

a caterpiller ??????

Old 19-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Doreen
Taylor writes
Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow and black
rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any ideas folks?

very young cinnabar moth caterpillar?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-07-2003, 11:22 PM
ned

Doreen Taylor wrote:
Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow

and
black rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any ideas
folks?

Is it a caterpillar? There are one or two with y/b rings.
Cinnabar moth, for example. Food plants groundsel, coltsfoot &
ragwort.
Grow up to about 30mm long.

--
ned

Old 19-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Tumbleweed

"Doreen Taylor" wrote in message
Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow and

black
rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any ideas folks?

Never mind the beastie, whats a lottie?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 20-07-2003, 01:52 AM
ned

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Doreen Taylor" wrote in message
Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow
and black rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any
ideas folks?

Never mind the beastie, whats a lottie?

'Think it's short for a 'lottimenti'.
;-)

--
ned

Old 20-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

"Doreen Taylor" wrote in message
Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow and

black
rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any ideas folks?

Never mind the beastie, whats a lottie?

That was my first question, but I guessed allotment.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Rod

"Kay Easton" wrote in message ...
In article , Doreen
Taylor writes
Found a weird beastie on the lottie. Tiny, half inch long, yellow and black
rings, forms a circle, straightens out when prodded. Any ideas folks?

very young cinnabar moth caterpillar?

I was working on a commercial landscape in a town last week rather than on the home patch - saw a fully fed Cinnabar moth
caterpillar running like hell along the pavement at least 100 metres away from anything green, I'm guessing it was trying to find
somewhere to pupate.

Rod

Old 21-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Doreen Taylor

Thanks Rod, may be it. At the allotment today, I found several grown up
ones, about an inch or so long, merrily feeding on some weeds, (at least
they were) struck me the vegetables may be next on their list.
"Rod" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

In article , Doreen
Taylor writes

Old 21-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Doreen Taylor

Thanks Rod, may be it. At the allotment today, I found several grown up
ones, about an inch or so long, merrily feeding on some weeds, (at least
they were) struck me the vegetables may be next on their list.
"Rod" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

In article , Doreen
Taylor writes

Old 21-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Doreen Taylor

Thanks Rod, may be it. At the allotment today, I found several grown up
ones, about an inch or so long, merrily feeding on some weeds, (at least
they were) struck me the vegetables may be next on their list.
"Rod" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

In article , Doreen
Taylor writes

Old 21-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Rod

"Doreen Taylor" wrote in message ...
Thanks Rod, may be it. At the allotment today, I found several grown up
ones, about an inch or so long, merrily feeding on some weeds, (at least
they were) struck me the vegetables may be next on their list.

It wasn't me who told you it was Cinnabar moth caterpillar, I was just saying about the one I saw running - yes, really running
along a pavement. If that's what yours are and it seems most likely then they aren't going to eat anything you want to eat - unless
you like groundsel or Ragwort on your salads that is. (Don't try that at home kids Ragwort is very toxic)

Rod