Old 02-09-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia chrysantha

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one these rarities!?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:17:31 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one these rarities!?

Only if you're prepared to import it from NZ.

http://www.hackfalls.com/cat/?cat=C

--
Chris

Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/9/06 18:00, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:17:31 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one these rarities!?

Only if you're prepared to import it from NZ.

http://www.hackfalls.com/cat/?cat=C

Thank you very much but I kicked that one up on Google, too! ;-) We had
some emails to and fro between us last year, so I've already emailed Lady
Anne to ask her if she knows of a UK supplier. She was the previous owner
of Rosemoor, just as a snippet of interest.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:07:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 2/9/06 18:00, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:17:31 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one these rarities!?

Only if you're prepared to import it from NZ.

http://www.hackfalls.com/cat/?cat=C

Thank you very much but I kicked that one up on Google, too! ;-)

Ah, you guessed!

Some lovely pictures on
http://www.picsearch.com/search.cgi?...bmit=Search%21

I've just noticed that Jennifer Trehane says in her camellia book that
it's a form of C. nitidissima. A search on that name might be more
rewarding. It's sub-tropical, not hardy and likes shade. Under glass
in the UK it's shy to flower. Camellia breeders are trying to produce
a hardier hybrid, but despite tens of thousands of hybrid seedlings
being raised, not one has the yellow colour of the parent.

It would be worth asking Trehanes if they have it, although it's not
in their catalogue. http://www.trehanenursery.co.uk/
They had close connections with the Jury family in NZ, raisers of many
superb camellia hybrids.

--
Chris

Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:17:31 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one these rarities!?

Only if you're prepared to import it from NZ.

http://www.hackfalls.com/cat/?cat=C

Thank you very much but I kicked that one up on Google, too! ;-)

Ah, you guessed!

Some lovely pictures on
http://www.picsearch.com/search.cgi?...=29&submi t.y
=44&submit=Search%21

I've just noticed that Jennifer Trehane says in her camellia book that
it's a form of C. nitidissima. A search on that name might be more
rewarding. It's sub-tropical, not hardy and likes shade. Under glass
in the UK it's shy to flower. Camellia breeders are trying to produce
a hardier hybrid, but despite tens of thousands of hybrid seedlings
being raised, not one has the yellow colour of the parent.

It would be worth asking Trehanes if they have it, although it's not
in their catalogue. http://www.trehanenursery.co.uk/
They had close connections with the Jury family in NZ, raisers of many
superb camellia hybrids.

Very many thanks for all this and I will indeed, contact Trehanes. I've
been given a contact by Lady Anne and I'm following that up, too. She, too,
thought it probably too tender even for our climate but we could at least
try it under glass if I can get one. I've also asked her contact's opinion
on whether it would 'do' in Jersey where I could get my son to try one out!
Apparently it was shown at Chelsea but the info available doesn't say by
whom.