Old 09-03-2013, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default EDGEWORTHIA chrysantha

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the vendor's
hardiness claim

Janet
Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/03/2013 15:54, Janet wrote:

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the vendor's
hardiness claim

Janet

I don't, but both Ness and Birmingham Botanic Gardens used to grow it.
Ness lost it in the last hard winter; I haven't been to Birmingham for a
few years, so I don't know how their specimen did.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-09 15:54:38 +0000, Janet said:

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the vendor's
hardiness claim

Janet

We usually have it but sell it in our 'Tender' section. It depends what
hardiness they're claiming for it really. Most seem to think it won't
go below -5C and certainly not for prolonged periods. Frost-free
gardens which can offer shelter, sun and good drainage would probably
keep it but the majority don't fall into that category, so we'd call it
more of a conservatory plant.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 09.03.2013 16:54, schrieb Janet:

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the vendor's
hardiness claim

It survives (and grows well) even in the warmer parts of Germany (wine
regions) with temperatures sometimes dropping well below -15C.
Best regards
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for replies...you've talked me into trying it :-) Who could resist at
£30. Now I'm mentally roaming the garden back home looking for a suitable spot.

Janet

Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"G Wolmershäuser" wrote

schrieb Janet:

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the
vendor's
hardiness claim

It survives (and grows well) even in the warmer parts of Germany (wine
regions) with temperatures sometimes dropping well below -15C.

That would suggest that if the wood is hardened in a warm summer it can
survive the cold.
Janet, pray for warm summers!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/03/2013 20:40, Janet wrote:
Thanks for replies...you've talked me into trying it:-) Who could resist at
£30. Now I'm mentally roaming the garden back home looking for a suitable spot.

huh, my friend's got one in a fairly sheltered garden. You never see the
blinking flowers as you have to crawl under netting and fleece to see
them as they always flower at the coldest time. Growth not much to write
home about either but fragrance lovely.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-09 23:09:03 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

On 09/03/2013 20:40, Janet wrote:
Thanks for replies...you've talked me into trying it:-) Who could resist at
£30. Now I'm mentally roaming the garden back home looking for a suitable spot.

huh, my friend's got one in a fairly sheltered garden. You never see
the blinking flowers as you have to crawl under netting and fleece to
see them as they always flower at the coldest time. Growth not much to
write home about either but fragrance lovely.

The scent is lovely, I agree but the growth habit would make it better
in a conservatory, preferably in a (very) raised bed!! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-09 23:09:03 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

On 09/03/2013 20:40, Janet wrote:
Thanks for replies...you've talked me into trying it:-) Who could resist at
£30. Now I'm mentally roaming the garden back home looking for a suitable spot.

huh, my friend's got one in a fairly sheltered garden. You never see
the blinking flowers as you have to crawl under netting and fleece to
see them as they always flower at the coldest time. Growth not much to
write home about either but fragrance lovely.

The scent is lovely, I agree but the growth habit would make it better
in a conservatory, preferably in a (very) raised bed!! ;-)

Whenever I see a plant offered for sale that I've never seen before, the
first question I ask myself is /why/ have I never seen it before if it
is as good as the label tells me it is? The usual answer is that it is
not hardy despite what the label or seller might say. And I think that
is the case with Edgeworthia (which I have seen for sale several times),
but have never seen outside - even against a wall. Maybe there are some
in very sheltered sites, but it's rarity suggests it has been tried and
found wanting.

It's always worth pushing the boundaries - particularly for new plants -
to establish just what the limits are, whether temperature, light,
watering, or whatever. But I think that Edgeworthia has been around long
enough for it to have a "not hardy" label.

--

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the
vendor's
hardiness claim

Janet

There is a plant of this in the border in front of the house at Wisley, I
checked this January while visiting and it is unprotected and un damaged (I
accept its been a mild winter but its a large shrub so its been there a few
years) I would say if it gets good summer heat it will take occasional -10c

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-09 23:09:03 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

[...]

Ray always says that if people aren't growing a (garden) plant there
may well be a reason for that! I'm sure you're right re Edgworthia. It
wouldn't 'do' here but it might in e.g. Salcombe which gives a fairly
limited range. That said, friends of ours living there lost several
Agaves a couple of years ago.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Janet" wrote in message

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the
vendor's
hardiness claim

Janet

There is a plant of this in the border in front of the house at Wisley, I
checked this January while visiting and it is unprotected and un damaged (I
accept its been a mild winter but its a large shrub so its been there a few
years) I would say if it gets good summer heat it will take occasional -10c

Gardening is always a compromise :-) In a typical winter my Arran garden will
have a few nights where the temp dips below 0C. The coldest so far this winter was -
2C.But, we do not get anything I could seriously call "good summer heat". Every few
siummers or so the temp briefly reaches 74 for an afternoon or so and we all start
flopping around imagining the onset of heat exhaustion.

I agree there's sometimes a good reason a plant is "never seen".. but quite
often, it's not been seen just because it never had a good publicity agent. I
already grow several such plants which have proved to be perfectly happy and hardy
in my garden to a regular chorus from visitors of "whatever is that, never seen it
for sale".

Anyway, since several posters have reported seeing Edgworthia surviving in colder
spots than mine, I reckon it's worth a gamble, so this afternoon I went back to the
GC and bought one.

Janet

Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/03/2013 21:18, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

"Janet" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds to me as if growing it close to a sunny wall may be an idea.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message

[...]

Same for us here Janet, lack of summer heat is a bigger problem than winter
cold.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-11 08:45:14 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message

[...]

Plus winter wet! We had a Cytisus battandieri in what we thought was a
sheltered spot and it lasted precisely one year. I don't think it was a
particularly cold winter, so suspect it was the wet wot got it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com