Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wisteria

Planted my first Wisteria earlier this year and its growing well,what do I
do when then vertical shoot reaches the gutter of my house ?

Should I pinch out the growing tip, or train it horizontally or what ?,
thanks.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Ged McLaren" writes:
| Planted my first Wisteria earlier this year and its growing well,what do I
| do when then vertical shoot reaches the gutter of my house ?
|
| Should I pinch out the growing tip, or train it horizontally or what ?,
| thanks.

Cut it back as hard as you like this autumn. It reshoots well from old
wood, and you want to persuade it to establish a suitable framework of
old branches. It flowers on spur shoots that grow out of older wood;
the long whippy stems don't flower, but can be used to establish new
framework.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ged McLaren" wrote
Planted my first Wisteria earlier this year and its growing well,what do I
do when then vertical shoot reaches the gutter of my house ?

Should I pinch out the growing tip, or train it horizontally or what ?,

You should decide where you want it to go over your house and then screw in
vine eyes along the lines of the cover you want and tie strong galvanised
wire between them, then train the shoots along these wires ( tie them
loosely as they expand with growth).
As you have your parts of your framework complete then don't allow any more
long shoots to grow from them, cut them off at 3 buds or so (constant job
throughout summer) to save the plant energy and keep it tidy.
Ever winter cut all shoots coming off your basic framework back to 2 buds to
encourage flower spurs/buds.

--
Regards
Bob H

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Shelly Hurd Bonsai 0 14-03-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM