Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Andrew Thomson

Default Suggestions for small shady area

I have a space in my small (2m x 1.5m) front garden that I've left until
last, mainly because I can't find a good plant to put in there.

Requirements a
1) Approx 1m in height, no higher.
2) Not much spread - there is a stepping stone about 30cm from where it will
be planted.
3) Good in shade. This part of the garden receives little sun. North facing
and only gets perhaps 1 hr sun in the evening.
4) Garden colours are reds, purples, pinks and whites so must fit in.
5) Flower-bearing. Nice smell preferable but not essential.
6) Must be fully hardy.
7) It is to be planted beside an 80cm high brick wall.
8) Moist soil.

Any ideas?

Andrew

Old 14-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Zizz

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message
.. .
I have a space in my small (2m x 1.5m) front garden that I've left until
last, mainly because I can't find a good plant to put in there.

Requirements a
1) Approx 1m in height, no higher.
2) Not much spread - there is a stepping stone about 30cm from where it

will
be planted.
3) Good in shade. This part of the garden receives little sun. North

facing
and only gets perhaps 1 hr sun in the evening.
4) Garden colours are reds, purples, pinks and whites so must fit in.
5) Flower-bearing. Nice smell preferable but not essential.
6) Must be fully hardy.
7) It is to be planted beside an 80cm high brick wall.
8) Moist soil.

Any ideas?

Andrew

Toad lily?
Daphne ??
Not sure!

Old 14-04-2003, 10:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Berberis seem to do well in most places and there's plenty of choice of
sizes but beware of the PRICKLES

"Zizz" wrote in message
:
: .. .

Old 14-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Andrew Thomson

"Zizz" wrote in message

[...]

Toad lily might be good. About the right size. Thanks!

Old 17-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Drakanthus

I have a space in my small (2m x 1.5m) front garden that I've left until
last, mainly because I can't find a good plant to put in there.

Requirements a
1) Approx 1m in height, no higher.
2) Not much spread - there is a stepping stone about 30cm from where it will
be planted.
3) Good in shade. This part of the garden receives little sun. North facing
and only gets perhaps 1 hr sun in the evening.
4) Garden colours are reds, purples, pinks and whites so must fit in.
5) Flower-bearing. Nice smell preferable but not essential.
6) Must be fully hardy.
7) It is to be planted beside an 80cm high brick wall.
8) Moist soil.

Any ideas?

Andrew

I suggest:
Primula Wanda (flowers pinky/purple) about 4 inches high, flowers prolifically in
shade, spring flowering (ours look marvellous at the moment - I can email you a
photo if you like).
Astilbie, 2 foot high, flowers pink through to red. Summer flowering.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)