Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered User

Question Non Invasive Bamboo

I am looking for a slow growing, Non Invasive Bamboo
Can someone help me out with this?
Regards
Grumpy
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Non Invasive Bamboo

"grumpy" wrote in message

I am looking for a slow growing, Non Invasive Bamboo
Can someone help me out with this?
Regards
Grumpy

A majority of the so called clump forming hardy bamboos are fairly well
behaved. They will spread outwards slowly forming a substantial stand of
bamboo over many years.
You do not say what height you require but Fargesia murieliae is well
behaved and comes in a variety of heights. F. bimbo (small) F. Simba
(medium) F. Jumbo (large). The overall effect of this variety is of a
fountain of green (i.e. you do not really notice the culms).
If you can't be bothered to chop off errant shoots then you can contain the
plant with a root barrier.
There is a bamboo to suit most tastes --a bit more info regarding your
requirements and I am sure someone will make further suggestions.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I am looking for a slow growing, Non Invasive Bamboo
Can someone help me out with this?
Regards
Grumpy
What do you mean by "slow-growing"? The growth habit of bamboos is that a culm appears and grows to its maximum height in one growing season, and thereafter it doesn't grow at all. Some do it in a month, others take a few months. They take a few years for the plant to be able to produce mature culms, but thereafter the culms won't get much bigger, but the plant will spread. "Slow-growing" might mean "slow to reach maturity" or it might mean "slow to spread". Many bamboos are more likely to stay where they are if they are happy than if they are stressed, so many bamboos actually spread more in dry soil. Confine your bamboo within a rhizome barrier about 50cm deep, or a water-filled ditch, if there is any risk of it spreading somewhere you don't want it.

Check out bamboos in the Fargesia genus. They are the main genus of true-clumping bamboos that will grow in cool climates. It includes some smaller cultivars such as Fargesia murieliae "Simba" (about 2m) and F. murieliae "Bimbo" (about 1m). They will of course spread into a tight clump, which will get bigger over time.

The other main genus of true-clumping bamboos for cool climates is Thamnocalamus, and T. crassinodus "Lang Tang" is a modest sized cultivar (about 2-3m).

The popular Black bamboo Phyllostachys nigra (which is actually a form not the species), although technically a running bamboo, is rather slow to mature and spread in typical British conditions. But make sure you don't get one of its truly rampant cousins such as P. nigra "Henonis" (which is actually the true species) or P. nigra "Boryana". Best to buy it from a reputable supplier who will give you a true black bamboo, as there are some poorer forms around.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"grumpy" wrote in message

I am looking for a slow growing, Non Invasive Bamboo

A majority of the so called clump forming hardy bamboos are fairly well
behaved. They will spread outwards slowly forming a substantial stand of
bamboo over many years.

Ever since living in Japan I have fancied having some large growing
bamboo in my garden, but been a put off by the risks of invasive
behaviour.

You do not say what height you require but Fargesia murieliae is well
behaved and comes in a variety of heights. F. bimbo (small) F. Simba
(medium) F. Jumbo (large). The overall effect of this variety is of a
fountain of green (i.e. you do not really notice the culms).
If you can't be bothered to chop off errant shoots then you can contain the
plant with a root barrier.

How deep does it have to go?
Bamboo culms strike me as being invasive like couch grass on steroids.

There is a bamboo to suit most tastes --a bit more info regarding your
requirements and I am sure someone will make further suggestions.

Ideally I would like one that grows to at least 3m, has nice yellow or
green stems and can be held to a patch say 2m square without too much
long term difficulty. It also has to tolerate gale force winds and
North Yorkshire weather. I'd settle for other colours, but a chunky
tropical looking clumping bamboo for preference rather than thin stems.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"grumpy" wrote in message

[...]

Phyllostachys vivax Aureocaulis would do all that, but although most years
it behaves itself you do have to watch for escape attempts!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-09-2006, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"grumpy" wrote in message

[...]

I will go with Charlie on his suggestion. If possible try to give any bamboo
a bit of shelter from gale force winds. The couch on steroids applies to
Sasa which is a real thug,but just happens to be one of the most attractive
leaved boos.
How deep for root barrier--if you decide you need it--
http://www.bamboosourcery.com/catalo...fm?id=76&row=4

Old 08-09-2006, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

grumpy wrote:

I am looking for a slow growing, Non Invasive Bamboo
Can someone help me out with this?
Regards
Grumpy

I wish we could make our spindly little bit of bamboo 'invade' a bit
more! It's been there for three or four years now and seems no more
significant than it was when we planted it.

--
Chris Green
Old 08-09-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Martin Brown" wrote:

Ideally I would like one that grows to at least 3m, has nice yellow or
green stems and can be held to a patch say 2m square without too much
long term difficulty. It also has to tolerate gale force winds and
North Yorkshire weather. I'd settle for other colours, but a chunky
tropical looking clumping bamboo for preference rather than thin stems.

You can go and have a look at a good range at Moor Monkton Nurseries
http://www.fernsuk.co.uk/home between Knaresborough and York.
There are lots of growers in Yorkshire with all sorts of species growing
happily. The only thing to be wary of is that bamboos are not very
salt tolerant so if you're on Filey Brigg you'll have problems.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

I am glad I asked that Question,more answers than you could shake a stick at!
Thanks everyone who commented.Sorry my question was not very clear,but i meant
both height and width,(you hear such horror stories about bamboo. All I have yo do now is choose.
regards
Grumpy:gardening in gloucestershire.