Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MB MB is offline

Default Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear?

I created quite a large pond last year - about 10 meters in diameter
holding a bit over 20,000 litres of water. My aim was to encourage as
much wildlife as possible into our garden, which I am pleased we seem
to have succeeded with.

I have noticed that we have accumulated a significant amount of sludge
/ blanket weed in the bottom of the pond - even after just one year. We
have no filters or water movement, as I wanted to create as natural an
environment as possible. For the same reason, I haven't introduced
fish.

Should I attempt to clear the sludge out? I am concerned that if I
leave it, over time, the amount of sludge will take over, but equally,
if I clear it, I may upset the balance of the pond. The water has
remained pretty clear, and the plants, in the main, are healthy.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Michael.

Pond sludge Steve J United Kingdom 15 04-07-2013 09:36 AM
Pond Sludge Eaters Koi-Lo Ponds 3 07-02-2006 08:28 PM
added sludge digester,, now cloudy *muffin* Ponds 2 04-08-2003 04:43 AM
Green sludge David Hahn Ponds 3 31-05-2003 09:44 PM
vacuum cleaner for water (like sludge )reservoir Neonel Ponds 3 07-05-2003 05:20 AM