Old 16-09-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grapes to wine

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

Thanks for your comments David. I think the ripening problem is due
to the fact that most of the grapes are tucked away under foliage.

That shouldn't matter. It is the action of the sun on the leaves, not
on the grapes themselves, that increases the sugar. That's why it's
important to leave three to four leaves on each spur above the bunches
of grapes. However, if the leaves don't get any sun then, of course,
the grapes won't ripen.

I remember
tasting the grapes many years ago...........yuk! (the vine has been
there at least 40 years)

As I said earlier, leave the grapes as long as possible. They will
continue to ripen.

David

Live and learn. Most of the vine is hidden from sight and sun by other trees
and bushes. Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 16-09-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

Is freezing the ripe fruit until the rest ripen viable?

Not a good idea really but you could try it. Actually what you need to
do is to crush the grapes and strain them through muslin to extract
the juice as soon after picking as possible.

OK, I'll have to add sugar, and the result might be crap, but I'd
like to try, whatever the result. So how do I proceed?

You say that you have the equipment to ferment wine from concentrates.
Well, once you have the juice proceed the same as for concentrates.
Just add a Campden tablet to every gallon of juice and add a yeast
starter. Actually now I don't even bother with a yeast starter as the
wine yeast is now endemic among my vines.

David

So, I crush the grapes..........sounds silly I know, but.........best way?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 17-09-2006, 01:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "BoyPete" contains these words:

So, I crush the grapes..........sounds silly I know, but.........best
way?

Baby bath, and bare feet.

Janet.

But if the barefooted baby does what babies have a habit of doing then you
will get "****ed on wine"

Old 17-09-2006, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

You say that you have the equipment to ferment wine from concentrates.
Well, once you have the juice proceed the same as for concentrates.
Just add a Campden tablet to every gallon of juice and add a yeast
starter. Actually now I don't even bother with a yeast starter as the
wine yeast is now endemic among my vines.

So, I crush the grapes..........sounds silly I know, but.........best way?

1. In a bowl with your hands.
2. In a bath with your feet!
3. In a bowl using a crusher (a mug would do).

The point of this is that every berry must be broken otherwise the juice
cannot be extracted.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 17-09-2006, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote

So, I crush the grapes..........sounds silly I know, but.........best
way?

ßôyþëtë

Slightly smaller saucepan inside a bit bigger one ?

Potato masher ?

Small hammer :~)

Jenny

Old 17-09-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

So, I crush the grapes..........sounds silly I know, but.........best way?

"David Rance" replied:
1. In a bowl with your hands.
2. In a bath with your feet!
3. In a bowl using a crusher (a mug would do).

The point of this is that every berry must be broken otherwise the juice
cannot be extracted.
---

My brother-in-law who made red wine from his home grown grapes,
used to hold a Sunday morning grape crushing session. He and his
grape crushers, chosen especially for their broad feet, had a wonderful
time helped along by the remnants of the previous year's vintage.
He preferred the bare feet (no socks or tights!) with grapes in white
plastic baby baths method. Great fun!

MikeCT

Old 17-09-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 Sacha wrote:

David, just out of possible interest to you, have you read Patricia
Atkinson's books The Ripening Sun and its sequel, La Belle Saison?

No, I haven't. Can you give ISBN numbers?

David

The Ripening Sun: ISBN: 0099443163
La Belle Saison: ISBN: 1844136000

Many thanks.

Amazon are selling the two together for £14.96 but La Belle Saison is still
in hard cover!
I must warn you that neither are text books on wine making but they are the
very interesting and absorbing story of an English woman who almost
accidentally found herself in sole charge of a vineyard in Provence. She
knew literally nothing about the business of wine making and had to start
from the ground up - literally! The chateau is Clos d'Yvigne and the wines
are sold in UK through Brown Brothers.

That sounds fascinating. I'm interested!

David

Old 18-09-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:
Does anyone here have experience of making wine from home-grown
grapes?

Many thanks for all the replies.
--
ßôyþëtë