Old 21-09-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coirpith

Coirpith, an eco-friendly growing medium

Coirpith is a waste material from the coir industry and is ideal for
gardening and horticultural needs. Coir pith is also known as coco peat
or coir dust. This homogenous material composed of millions of
capillary micro-sponges, absorb and hold water up to eight times it's
own weight.

Vayalar Coirpith Products is a leading producer and exporter of coir
pith products in South India . They produce coir pith blocks and coir
pith grow bags with low and high and high EC as per client
specifications.

Old 21-09-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Coirpith, an eco-friendly growing medium

Coirpith is a waste material from the coir industry and is ideal for
gardening and horticultural needs. Coir pith is also known as coco
peat or coir dust. This homogenous material composed of millions of
capillary micro-sponges, absorb and hold water up to eight times
it's own weight.

Vayalar Coirpith Products is a leading producer and exporter of coir
pith products in South India . They produce coir pith blocks and
coir pith grow bags with low and high and high EC as per client
specifications.

That's nice. We could use it over here. How much carbon dioxide is
released into the atmosphere when you transport it thousands of miles
across the ocean?

Probably about the same amount as other things that *you* eat, wear
or use. We do not grow rice in Yorkshire (yet)

Yes. We have no bananas. Either.

I don't eat rice except with takeaway curry, as we don't grow it. Yet. And
I make a BIG point of not buying/eating anything we don't grow. I think
I'm alone :-)

So you do eat rice. BTW the rest of the curry probably has little or no UK
grown food. How do you extrapolate your anti foreign goods feelings into
other aspects of your life?

Old 21-09-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
this in , I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
, I, Marvo,
say :
[...]

I don't have an anti-foreign-goods feeling, I have an
anti-releasing-carbon-dioxide-into-the-ozone-layer type of one.

The rest of the curry, BTW, has chicken tikka, various spices and such,
(admittedly which are not UK-grown but are in such lightweight quantities
that I let them through the net,) potatoes, and mushrooms. We grow them, and
I happen to know that Mr Curry gets his veg off Mr Greengrocer and Mr
Greengrocer tries as hard as he can to provide planet-friendly stuff, which
is why I use him.

And I /know/ I'm making the tiniest of differences, but I am proud to do
that /tiniest/ little bit.

And I recycle everything I can.

I wish more people did.

Old 21-09-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Good for you. I was genuinely interested in how far you go in your "anti CO2
" thingy. It really is hard work and virtually impossible to apply to
everything.
You are quite right to feel proud-doing your bit

Old 21-09-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

How do you extrapolate your anti foreign goods feelings into other
aspects of your life?

I don't have an anti-foreign-goods feeling, I have an
anti-releasing-carbon-dioxide-into-the-ozone-layer type of one.

To be pedantic the problem is with carbon dioxide in the lower atmosphere
(troposphere) wheras the ozone layer is in the stratosphere.

More to the issue dried coir is very light so energy requirements of
transporting will be small. OTOH Draining peat bogs allows them to oxidise
which releases large quantities of carbon dioxide.

An anti-releasing-carbon-dioxide feeling is all to the good - especially
in terms of personal transport - see sig.

Regards

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames