Old 22-09-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nasty thing in the soil

, I, Marvo, say :

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly
quickly. They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the
little beasts had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

These chaps ?

http://www.gaipm.org/top50/wireworms.html

Although they only have three pairs of legs each, if there are
enough of them all gathered together in one place, it might
resemble a mass of legs.

michael adams

Perhaps-but the bodies were much thinner--almost as thin as cotton.
I suppose it depends on their age--we all fill out a bit as we get
older.

Nematodes. Available in McDonald's apparently.

Still yeuk.

Old 22-09-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Oops! It looks like it's one of the other ones anyway. A variety of
symphilids maybe.

There are loads of different types of insects under the soil. A
lot of them are larvae for other things, chafer grubs for beetles,
leatherjackets for crane fly etc. Coming across a big infestation
can come as something of a shock, but as far as I know, none of
them have been known to attack and kill humans.

Not so far, anyway.

michael adams

Old 22-09-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You mean up til now they've been good at picking people who wont be missed
and are good at disposing of bodies?

--
Rhiannon_s:
Just a scientific experiment gone horribly wrong.