Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Sad Sid

Default Something Nasty behind the compost heap...

We've grown sick & tired of Marrows this year - they just kept coming until
we forced ourselves to eat no more than one a week and gave the rest away.
They finally stopped producing and we ate the last a fortnight ago. What a
blessed relief!

I was having a clear-up around the compost heap today and came across a
marrow plant that I had discarded. It missed the compost bin and fell in the
gap by the hedge. Despite not being hand-fertilised it had produced the
biggest b******* marrow of the season. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!

Old 09-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Mary Fisher

I was having a clear-up around the compost heap today and came across a
marrow plant that I had discarded. It missed the compost bin and fell in

the
gap by the hedge. Despite not being hand-fertilised it had produced the
biggest b******* marrow of the season. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!

Outdoor marrows/courgettes don't need hand pollinating in my experience.

Mary

Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:31:10 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I was having a clear-up around the compost heap today and came across a
marrow plant that I had discarded. It missed the compost bin and fell in

the
gap by the hedge. Despite not being hand-fertilised it had produced the
biggest b******* marrow of the season. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!

Outdoor marrows/courgettes don't need hand pollinating in my experience.

but you have busy bees :-)
--
Martin
Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
David Hill

"..........Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!......."

But Why?

If you had left some to mature and get ripe they make good Jam. Marrow and
ginger.
You can take the base off, remove the seed and fill with brown sugar, hang
the marrow in a clean stocking, or even 2 of them in a pair of tights, and
when the sugar has fermented and worked its way through the marrow you have
Marrow rum
Finally when Ripe they will keep most of the winter so you can have one
every so often, better than when you have them immature.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
"..........Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!......."

But Why?

If you had left some to mature and get ripe they make good Jam. Marrow and
ginger.

That's so.

You can take the base off, remove the seed and fill with brown sugar, hang
the marrow in a clean stocking, or even 2 of them in a pair of tights, and
when the sugar has fermented and worked its way through the marrow you

have
Marrow rum

Which is delicious!

Finally when Ripe they will keep most of the winter so you can have one
every so often, better than when you have them immature.

Absolutely.

Very useful, marrows. I still prefer them as courgettes though.

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Mary Fisher

Outdoor marrows/courgettes don't need hand pollinating in my experience.

but you have busy bees :-)

No longer.

There are plenty of pollinating insects everywhere.

Mary

Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 AM
martin

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 22:13:49 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"..........Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!......."

But Why?

A very good question.

You can also pick the flowers dip them in batter and fry them like the
Italians do.

We ate our last marrows yesterday :-(

snip

Finally when Ripe they will keep most of the winter so you can have one
every so often, better than when you have them immature.

How do you store them David, ours went rotten last year.
--
Martin
Old 10-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!

I make surplus marrows into jams and chutney.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 10-10-2003, 04:32 PM
JennyC

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message
We've grown sick & tired of Marrows this year - they just kept

coming until
we forced ourselves to eat no more than one a week and gave the rest

away.
They finally stopped producing and we ate the last a fortnight ago.

What a
blessed relief!

I was having a clear-up around the compost heap today and came

across a
marrow plant that I had discarded. It missed the compost bin and

fell in the
gap by the hedge. Despite not being hand-fertilised it had produced

the
biggest b******* marrow of the season. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Next year? Definitely NO MARROWS!

Make Marrow & Ginger jam :~)) Its yummy