Old 27-09-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Plant by Moon phase

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article . com, Mike
Lyle writes

It's all there in
Nostradamus and Joanna Southcott.

Haven't you heard of "organic box" schemes?

Yes, I believe they can be very prophetable.

--
Mike.

Old 27-09-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Uncle Marvo wrote:

"Late crop spuds should be planted on Good Friday" is an adage by which I
have had much success with spuds. Good Friday occurs by dint of cunning
calculation by the church, and I believe that phases of the moon might

have
something to do with that, so perhaps there is some truth in it all?

Nothing to do with that. Good Friday was traditionally a public holiday
and, in bygone days, was one of the few holidays that workers had.
Therefore it was often the only day they could plant their potatoes.

David

So where exactly did these workers work ?

Surely set working times only came in with factories in the 19th
century?

michael adams

David Rance

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados,

France

Old 28-09-2006, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, michael adams wrote:

"Late crop spuds should be planted on Good Friday" is an adage by which I
have had much success with spuds. Good Friday occurs by dint of cunning
calculation by the church, and I believe that phases of the moon might

have
something to do with that, so perhaps there is some truth in it all?

Nothing to do with that. Good Friday was traditionally a public holiday
and, in bygone days, was one of the few holidays that workers had.
Therefore it was often the only day they could plant their potatoes.

So where exactly did these workers work ?

Surely set working times only came in with factories in the 19th
century?

So how old do you think the saying is and how do you know? Bygone days
can refer to the 20th century, let alone the 19th!

David

Old 28-09-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"michael adams" writes:
| "David Rance" wrote in message
|
| Nothing to do with that. Good Friday was traditionally a public holiday
| and, in bygone days, was one of the few holidays that workers had.
| Therefore it was often the only day they could plant their potatoes.
|
| So where exactly did these workers work ?
|
| Surely set working times only came in with factories in the 19th
| century?

That has nothing to do with it. During the winter, farm workers worked
all of the daylight hours. The very word holiday is just a derivation
of "holy day".

In fact, I have similar holiday conditions (though the current University
bureaucrats would like to deny it). I am employed to do a job, and the
only days that I get as formal holidays are Sundays, Christmas Day and
Good Friday. However, I am entitled to at least 7 weeks leave, so it
isn't quite as bad as it sounds :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

You've obviously had more luck with ladies than I have :-)

I probably needed luck more than you did!

--
Mike.

Old 29-09-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

The message
from "Uncle Marvo" contains
these words:

this in
, I, Marvo, say :

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

"David Rance" wrote in message

Nothing to do with that. Good Friday was traditionally a public
holiday and, in bygone days, was one of the few holidays that
workers had. Therefore it was often the only day they could plant
their potatoes.

So where exactly did these workers work ?

Surely set working times only came in with factories in the 19th
century?

Agricultural workers and domestic servants for centuries back,
were usually allocated a specified number of days off per year.

Within living memory, the church and many employers, landowners
etc enforced the strictest Sunday observance upon their flocks,
employees and servants (except, of course, where the masters'
domestic needs were concerned). So even when the masses graduated
to working "only" a six-day week, they often couldn't do their own
digging, laundry etc on Sundays.

Nor Good Friday, though :-)

Good Friday church attendance may well have been enforced, but
afaik the biblical embargo on working applies only to Sabbath.

That's true. Saturday.

:-)

Old 29-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Registered User

Location: england

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy
Out of curiosity I have just received the 2007 diary/almanac for
planting by phases of the moon. The allotmenteer in the recent
television series seemed to think there was a definite advantage to
growing and sowing etc by the phases of the moon.
Thought I'd give it a go in 2007
New book starts in October 2006 so should be fun and MIGHT remind me to
do jobs that I keep putting off until
a) the seedlings are long and drawn for want of planting out
or
b) the seedlings go into the soil a bit too early and I lose them all

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph