Old 26-09-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Madeira trip

I just wanted to report that I think anyone who likes plants and gardens
would just love Madeira! We would recommend it highly. The island is
volcanic so has some spectacular scenery, the people are very friendly and
kindly disposed and there is virtually no crime. We had time (we were
feeling v. lazy & took in Reid's garden from the cocktail bar terrace!) to
visit only two gardens but they're two of the most highly recommended. We
took the teleferique to the gardens at Monte but have to admit that we
weren't overwhelmed by them. They have the biggest collection of cycads in
the world (IIRC) but we're of the school that tends to feel "when you've
seen one......." etc. The situation is spectacularly beautiful in terms of
views and water running right down through the garden and from nearby you
can see the start of the famous toboggan run. We observed that but I
refused flatly to have anything to do with it!
The other garden we saw was the Blandy garden and that is just magnificent.
Sir Charles and Lady Blandy started it in the 1980s, I think and it has
hundreds of Camellias which must look wonderful in bloom. It has a wealth
of other marvellous plants, some semi-tropical, many of which we knew but a
few that we didn't. We'd never seen Eucalyptus ficifolia before and that's
a beautiful thing. I wonder if it would flower well here? There were
Leucodendrons and Proteas and all manner of luscious things - far too many
for me to list, so this link might give some indication:
http://www.madeira-gardens.com/index.html

They had somehow coiled Muehlenbeckia round the base of a tree to give a
lovely, fat cushion effect that was amusing and attractive and we just loved
the box topiarised into snails, pointing to different directions of the
garden - that was a very witty touch!
Strelitzias grow wild, as does the lovely Ipomoea and many other goodies but
island-wide, we were a bit surprised to see only two shrubby Echiums and no
E. piniana plus a lack of much of a range of Salvias.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-09-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

I had meant to ask what it was like - haven't been there for around 24
years. Sounds wonderful. (I bet you didn't walk up the lavadas. We
have never done it but I know someone who has.
--
June Hughes
Old 26-09-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
We'd never seen Eucalyptus ficifolia before and that's a beautiful
thing. I wonder if it would flower well here?

I've checked my photographs (I thought the name was familiar) and I've
got a photograph of the flower clusters of E. ficifolia at Birmingham
Botanic Gardens, which suggests that it might flower well. (Only having
a photograph of the flower clusters and not of the whole plant -
probably I couldn't get a clear view from sufficiently far away - I
can't be sure how well distributed the flowers were.) I'm not sure
exactly where it was, but it was probably in the Subtropical House. At a
guess it'd do nicely in an orangery.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-09-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 26/9/06 20:08, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
We'd never seen Eucalyptus ficifolia before and that's a beautiful
thing. I wonder if it would flower well here?

I've checked my photographs (I thought the name was familiar) and I've
got a photograph of the flower clusters of E. ficifolia at Birmingham
Botanic Gardens, which suggests that it might flower well. (Only having
a photograph of the flower clusters and not of the whole plant -
probably I couldn't get a clear view from sufficiently far away - I
can't be sure how well distributed the flowers were.) I'm not sure
exactly where it was, but it was probably in the Subtropical House. At a
guess it'd do nicely in an orangery.

Many thanks, Stewart. We *could* try it in one of the biggest greenhouses
but it might be a bit demanding! Along with Dahlia imperialis/excelsior
(opinions differ) it would be good to try in the garden OR to get a friend
/customer to do the same if they live near the coast. What do you think
about coastal survival and flowering?

Well, I claim ignorance, rather than thought, but googling gives a page
-
http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/EUCFICA.pdf - which gives a range in the US
which is not encouraging - maybe David Poole or Tresco could grow it. On
the other hand San Marcos Growers say that it can take a few degrees of
frost.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 27-09-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/9/06 23:22, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

snip

Well, I claim ignorance, rather than thought, but googling gives a page
-
http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/EUCFICA.pdf - which gives a range in the US
which is not encouraging - maybe David Poole or Tresco could grow it. On
the other hand San Marcos Growers say that it can take a few degrees of
frost.

We might risk one out in the garden and see what happens, then. Have you
been to San Marcos, BTW? We went there about 5 years ago and met Randy and
got part of 'the tour' - it's too big and too hot to see the entire place!
They are licensed to propagate Ray's Nemesia 'Bluebird' there, so invited us
in to say 'hello'. Amazing operation!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

O T. Visit to Madeira The Hound United Kingdom 2 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 10 24-09-2003 12:21 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:15 AM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 11:56 AM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 10:56 PM