Old 28-09-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting Grass Cuttings ??

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
, I, Marvo, say :

[snip]

rubbish, to some, a good source of organic compost for others.
Yes, I agree with you that it is too much without the balance.
You are thr carbon, I am the nitrogen. Leaves or paper or saw dust
shouldn't be too hard to scrounge in most places. Neighbours have
trees in abundance round here and I can get acres of paper from
work. I enjoy a good tongue in cheek argument.

Any leaves, paper or sawdust I can scrounge go on the fire. We used
to do paper but, as I am the IT manager [giggles] the office is now
paperless so far as I can make it so. I gave up newspapers when I
discovered that the Su Doku is reproduced the day after on The
Times website, so I have a total of one A4 sheet per day. And that
doubles as a shopping list, notepad, and fuel.

You can't beat a good argument though. What does the panel think
about leaving cuttings (short) on the lawn? It's usually very much
one way or the other.

You must be very cold. Hopefully the guy with the grass isn't as
cold and can get some carbon. I lifted a sack from a local tree
miller yesterday, all free and untreated, he was happy to get rid
of it, went in with my grass today.

Lets argue, as long as you don't call me a red nosed **** like you
did to the clown.

Ho ho.

Well spotted, it wasn't me who thought of "UM", it was someone else
:-)

It sort of stuck.

the master of lightning wit, backchat and repartee

Well, one out of three ain't bad (C) meatloaf.

Old 28-09-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

covehithe wrote:
My mother has moved house and has a fairly large garden ( grass area
probably at least tennis court size). I have made her 3 wood compost
bins 1 metre square.

Question? I get 5-6 containers full of clippings from the mower, is
this too much to put in compost bin as balance of compost material from
kitchen & garden is much less. I am hoping to utilise the clippings
without having to take them to council waste site, if possible

I use only very little of my lawn clippings in my compost bin - no
particular reason, I simply prefer to use them to mulch my ornamental
(and vegetable!) beds. You just make sure to spread it out to a max
depth of 2 or 3 inches, so avoid ending up with sloppy goop. It is
majorly effective at keeping weeds down, it gets suprisingly quickly
broken down and mixed into soil by the combined action of forraging
birds and worms, and it helps keep moisture into the ground, also. It
works a treat for me.

Another suggestion would be to use a mulching mower to mow the lawn,
and leave the clippings in situ to feed the lawn. The mulching blades
and attachment make sure that the clippings are forced below the top of
the sward, so you're not left with what you might consider unsightly
grass clippings at the surface of the lawn. I can do that with mine,
and do it once in a while.

Cat(h)

Old 29-09-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

You can't beat a good argument though. What does the panel think about
leaving cuttings (short) on the lawn? It's usually very much one way or the
other.

I put some of my grass cuttings in the compost, some I mix with stuff to
go in the shredder, some I sue to earth up the potatoes or just chuck
over the vegetable beds. It all rots down. My grass area is about 80 by
100 foot and I don't seem to have piles of smelly grass clippings
everywhere! Besides a garden that size will surely have shrubs etc that
need pruning and trees with leaves etc, all the waste from that can be
mixed in.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 29-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Registered User

Location: england

I have to agree with rob i add equal amounts of screwed up newspaper to my compost when I have lots of grass on there and it works really well.
Old 30-09-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default brambles or blackberries

"deadlyart" wrote in message

Hi all I am a newbie or (newberry) and I hope I have posted correctly.
My question is this...I planted some ordinary bramble runners and fed
and watered them like they were my own children, this year the crop of
berries I got was amazing ....big tasty berries can anyone tell me if
there is a difference between brambles and blackberries that you buy at
the local garden centre, other than the obvious thornless varieties.

Many thanks

I would assume that the GC ones are cultivated to produce bigger fruit.
Jenny