Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Broadback

Default Composting nasties suchas couch grass

I don't know a lot, but I do know that it is undesirable to put weeds
like couch grass into a compost bin, as they will survive and grow when
the compost is spread.
I have read here that they can be "drowned" and then composted, how long
do they need to be submersed? Also if they are young freshly seeded, as
opposed to root spread is it safe to compost them then?
TIA
John
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Brian

Couch grass ['twitch'] should not be composted. Leave it to dry and then
burn it. Docks similarly, though many seem to believe that it can grow from
its ashes!! Very few things need burning but these and Bindweed are
exceptions.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Brian wrote:
Couch grass ['twitch'] should not be composted. Leave it to dry and then
burn it. Docks similarly, though many seem to believe that it can grow from
its ashes!! Very few things need burning but these and Bindweed are
exceptions.

I compost couch, bindweed (both types), ground elder and nettles,
and have no problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Brian

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian wrote:
Couch grass ['twitch'] should not be composted. Leave it to dry and then
burn it. Docks similarly, though many seem to believe that it can grow

from
its ashes!! Very few things need burning but these and Bindweed are
exceptions.

I compost couch, bindweed (both types), ground elder and nettles,
and have no problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick,
Having Couch, Bindweed and Ground Elder is, in itself, a problem. If you
had burnt their roots you would have none to compost!
Best Wishes.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Diane Epps

"Broadback" wrote in message
I don't know a lot, but I do know that it is undesirable to put weeds
like couch grass into a compost bin, as they will survive and grow when
the compost is spread.
I have read here that they can be "drowned" and then composted, how long
do they need to be submersed? Also if they are young freshly seeded, as
opposed to root spread is it safe to compost them then?
TIA
John
--
The drowning principle is I think down to Bob Flowerdew and I am trying it

this season I have half filled an old plastic dustbin with water and am
gradually adding the nasty weeds. It is my intention to leave them until
they are visibly rotten before upending it all into the compost.
Diane

Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Brian
writes
Couch grass ['twitch'] should not be composted. Leave it to dry and then
burn it. Docks similarly, though many seem to believe that it can grow from
its ashes!! Very few things need burning but these and Bindweed are
exceptions.

We usually compost small amounts of couch grass and also dock roots with
no problem. I think that we have so many grass clippings that the heat
generated destroys these things effectively.

Have never had the courage to try bindweed and celandines, though
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Brian
writes
Couch grass ['twitch'] should not be composted. Leave it to dry and then
burn it. Docks similarly, though many seem to believe that it can grow from
its ashes!! Very few things need burning but these and Bindweed are
exceptions.

We usually compost small amounts of couch grass and also dock roots with
no problem. I think that we have so many grass clippings that the heat
generated destroys these things effectively.

Have never had the courage to try bindweed and celandines, though

My heap is cool, and they rarely survive. It isn't just the heat,
but the fact that a compostING heap is not a good environment for
vascular plants, in many ways. A compostED heap, on the other hand,
is exactly what they like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:05 AM
gary davis

On 5/7/04 12:52 PM, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

I don't know a lot, but I do know that it is undesirable to put weeds
like couch grass into a compost bin, as they will survive and grow when
the compost is spread.
I have read here that they can be "drowned" and then composted, how long
do they need to be submersed? Also if they are young freshly seeded, as
opposed to root spread is it safe to compost them then?
TIA
John

Hi John
Any weeds that I have, I put on black plastic and allow the sun to do
it's work. I was concerned about the rain water that landed and created
puddles on the black plastic-concerned that it would feed the unwanted roots
the water they would need to survive and grow.
I found that the sun heated the black plastic which in turn heated the
water to temperatures unhealthy to weed plants of all sorts.
Another method I have used is to hang them out to dry. I use a fencing
material much like chicken wire. Attach the wire to something that keeps it
off the ground. If there is soil on the root system, put the whole assembly
over the garden...worms will drop to the ground. We don't want to kill them,
they are too valuable.
After the weeds have dried throw them in the compost or bury them as
green manure.
I tried the drowning them in water method...I thought it would work and
it should and will. The methods above are faster.
One thing I didn't do was to put them in a black pail with water and put
that in the sun...with a lid. That will work...and be smelly! Perfect for
the worms in your compost bin. To them it is gourmet lunch! Have you noticed
that worms like rotten stuff?
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

To reply direct Please remove...yoursocks...

Keeping couch grass out of polytunnels Michael Bell United Kingdom 5 22-04-2011 12:47 PM
Bloody couch grass! alan.holmes United Kingdom 20 08-04-2010 05:30 PM
Border full of couch grass! scorpy66 United Kingdom 9 11-06-2006 10:34 AM
Couch Grass panda United Kingdom 13 02-03-2006 12:34 AM
Couch Grass in Compost Brian Corbett Gardening 1 10-07-2005 08:15 PM