Old 01-10-2006, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone identify this plant ???

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
"Treeza" wrote in message

Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate

group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden.

It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been

able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and

has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t...net.com/album?.
dir=/a7b0re2&.src=ph&.tok=phzrOlFB38HXVEVt

Can anyone help?

Datura ?

Yep. 'Tis definitley datura (also called Angel's trumpet or thorn
apple IIRC) and its poisonous.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Keith Kent writes

Datura ?

Yes, that's right. Datura stramonium = thornapple. Poisonous. . Lovely
plant, as are many daturas.

Does anyone want mine then? Mine has smooth edged leaves though and
looks more woody in the stem. It's growing in the greenhouse at the
moment but can be posted anywhere
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy
Does anyone want mine then? Mine has smooth edged leaves though and
looks more woody in the stem. It's growing in the greenhouse at the
moment but can be posted anywhe)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Yours might be a Brugmansia then. They are a closely related genus also known as angel's trumpets, but woodier, and typically with smooth edged leaves.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , echinosum
writes

Janet Tweedy Wrote:

Does anyone want mine then? Mine has smooth edged leaves though and
looks more woody in the stem. It's growing in the greenhouse at the
moment but can be posted anywhe)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Yours might be a Brugmansia then. They are a closely related genus also
known as angel's trumpets, but woodier, and typically with smooth edged
leaves.

Ah thank you, yes, it does look like that though where it came from is
anyone's guess.

Anyway, it's in the post to Kay, as we speak!

janet