Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Booze and compost

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to "George.com" :

beer does well in pizza dough or damper or in a batter for fish.

so the German name for normal UK batter: "Bierteig".
--
Tim C.

or ginger beer as a substitute for non drinkers.

rob

Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've been asked if it's ok to chuck the contents of old (alcoholic)
drinks into the compost bin.
I haven't a clue.
Not sure why not down the plug... but there you have it. It's old beer,
wine, cinzano and fiero.. not sure if stronger stuff is included. Or
if it makes any difference.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

a.c. wrote:
I've been asked if it's ok to chuck the contents of old (alcoholic)
drinks into the compost bin.
I haven't a clue.
Not sure why not down the plug... but there you have it. It's old
beer, wine, cinzano and fiero.. not sure if stronger stuff is
included. Or if it makes any difference.

Better to drink first and then pee on the compost!

pk

Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "a.c." contains these words:

I've been asked if it's ok to chuck the contents of old (alcoholic)
drinks into the compost bin.
I haven't a clue.
Not sure why not down the plug... but there you have it. It's old beer,
wine, cinzano and fiero.. not sure if stronger stuff is included. Or
if it makes any difference.

I can't see what harm it would do to a compost heap but what a waste
of good booze! I'd save it for cooking with. Add to beef casseroles,
steak pie, spaghetti bolognese etc..

Janet

Old 09-10-2006, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"a.c." wrote in message
oups.com...

I've been asked if it's ok to chuck the contents of old (alcoholic)
drinks into the compost bin.
I haven't a clue.
Not sure why not down the plug... but there you have it. It's old beer,
wine, cinzano and fiero.. not sure if stronger stuff is included. Or
if it makes any difference.

Try sampling a bit from each bottle first.

A lot would probably depend on if it's already been opened,
if the corks have dried out etc.

It might be drinkable, or it might be like vinegar.

Slugs like beer and they might be partial to whatever you have
to offer, even the Cinzano. Just fill a small yoghurt pot with each
tipple, and sink it in level with the soil surface, and see what
happens. If it's any good then the best stuff can be saved, to be
used as and when required

If it is like vinegar, then pouring too much on the compost heap
all in one go, may well render it too acidic.

michael adams

Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:
"a.c." wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Thank you and thank you all.
Being pretty much a T-totaller, I was entirely out of my depth on this
one (-: