Old 27-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Wayne

Default Two Questions.... Sorry If They've Been Asked Before

1st Question: I have a pre-formed 220 pond with Becket in-pond biofilter.
Today, when I was cleaning it out, I noticed a little, approximately 1.5
inch, critter swimming in the water inside my cleaning bucket. He had
undoubtedly come off of my plastic bio balls or the small rocks that I use
to anchor my pump. He looked like an eel swimming, with what looked like a
little head on one end. But then again, he could have passed for a small
(still only about 1.5 inches long and wormsize) water snake. I dipped him
out of the bucket with my tea strainer and when exposed to the air, he
started acting like a worm. Any ideas what he was and do I need to do
anything in particular?

2nd Question: I have some pickerel weed that produces the long, purple
bloom that is so pretty. When the purple has gone and the bloom appears to
be dead, do I need to cut that off?

I'm new at the ponding, 1st year with the pickerel weed, eels, etc. so
please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 AM
zookeeper

Wayne wrote:
1st Question:

Sorry, will leave this one to the critter experts.

2nd Question: I have some pickerel weed that produces the long, purple
bloom that is so pretty. When the purple has gone and the bloom appears to
be dead, do I need to cut that off?

The seed head does not need to be cut off, unless you don't like the way
it looks. It's actually quite interesting to watch the process though as
the stem bends toward the water as the seed head develops, then the
seeds drop off. Our koi eat them, the blue and scrub jays stop by to
pick on them, and even the squirrel likes to snack on them as well.
--
zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 27-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Zookeeper,

What is the water depth of your pickerel weed?

Ours grows, but does not seem to thrive in about 1" of water.

See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net

Old 27-06-2003, 07:25 PM
zookeeper

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Zookeeper,

What is the water depth of your pickerel weed?
Ours grows, but does not seem to thrive in about 1" of water.

Our pickerel weed is submerged anywhere from at water level to 4-6
inches under water. It also grows with just its roots in the water,
without the crown submerged. The first year we were here (pond had been
built 2 years b4 we moved in), I was surprised to see these little
arrow-shaped green leaves emerging from the duckweed and azolla. When I
pulled the pickerel weed up from where they had been submerged, they had
2-3 foot stems and since they had been submerged with the pots on their
sides, the leaves were growing at a 90 degree angle from the pots. I
just cut all those off, and set the pots upright.

How much sun does your pickerel get? Although that doesn't seem to
matter to ours. (I just recently read that purple pickerel weed is
considered invasive here in Oregon, and given how well ours grows, I can
see why.)
--
Kathy B

Old 29-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Bob

I don't think anyone else said anything about question number one, so I'll
hazard a guess. It's most likely a tad or toadpol.

--
Remove ME to email

Check out my pond at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond button on the left.

. com...

Old 29-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Wayne

This didn't appear to be a tadpole, as I call it, because it was about an
1.5 inches long, skinny like a worm, but swam like an eel. It appeared to
have a tiny head on one end but after removal from the water, it looked more
like a worm. I didn't let it live to multiply but I will watch for more
when I clean my filter again. It's creepy to think that if one of them gets
bigger, with me always putting my hands in the water and feeling the bottom,
eek! Thanks for your answer, you could be right!

"Bob" wrote in message
I don't think anyone else said anything about question number one, so I'll
hazard a guess. It's most likely a tad or toadpol.

--
Remove ME to email

Check out my pond at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond button on the left.

. com...

Old 03-07-2003, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:25:23 GMT, "Wayne" wrote:

This didn't appear to be a tadpole, as I call it, because it was about an
1.5 inches long, skinny like a worm, but swam like an eel. It appeared to
have a tiny head on one end but after removal from the water, it looked more
like a worm. I didn't let it live to multiply but I will watch for more
when I clean my filter again. It's creepy to think that if one of them gets
bigger, with me always putting my hands in the water and feeling the bottom,
eek! Thanks for your answer, you could be right!

If it was red could have been a red blood worm, fish love 'em. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Wayne

Nope, he wasn't red but a dark color. He swam with that left, right swirly
motion, just like a snake or an eel. I'll be watching more closely for them
next time I clean my filters Thanks for the reply.

news