Old 15-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Location: North Wales on mountain side
Default Please help identify this plant.

I have a plant which has black stems and blue flowers which only open during sunlight, fruits which look like physalis but are full of seeds only no pulp to speak of and are grey in colour. They are encased in a black and green outer just like physalis though. I have no idea where it has come from but it is very architectural and about 3 ft high with similar spread very airy. Thanks
Old 16-10-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news

--
Drwsynant

Its the Sho Fly plant, Nicrandra physalodes, behaves as an annual outside so
if you want it next year save the seed.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Registered User

Location: North Wales on mountain side

Thankyou very much it has had me puzzled all season I will collect some seed as it is very attractive and a really unusual and attractive plant.
Old 16-10-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Drwsynant" wrote in message
news

Charlie Pridham Wrote:
"Drwsynant" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yes it is a pretty thing-it was sold around here a few years ago in all the
garden centres as Physalis bluewonder and has since become a weed in this
and many other gardens. Easily removed but the seed is prolific and does
seem to survive my composting method..

Old 21-10-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Drwsynant
writes

Thankyou very much it has had me puzzled all season I will collect some
seed as it is very attractive and a really unusual and attractive plant.

Once you've had it you'll be unlikely to lose it! It seeds prolifically
and will appear all over the garden!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy